flexijoint

dave t

I have just decated my 300tdi disco using a down pipe from a defender which doesnt have a flexijoint

why did they fit them to the disco and not the defender and am I going to have any problems with not having one?

thanks

Dave

The put it in a disco to get rit of drive line vibs because it sould be a luxer car.

Why not in a def just for strength it does not coop with the force of real off roading.

So no you will not have a prob but have you change the 3rd member flange because the disco flange have is 3 bolt and a def a 4 bolt joint

Guest DiscoTD4

Dave, I can't answer authoritatively, so until a more knowledgeable person comes along I'll offer one suggestion as being that the pipe might be longer than the defender and thus erequires a bit more flexibility ?

Have you noticed any increase in vibration or noise - that may be another reason, whereas on a Defender the noise vibration issue would not really make much difference ;)

Cheers

I have just decated my 300tdi disco using a down pipe from a defender which doesnt have a flexijoint

why did they fit them to the disco and not the defender and am I going to have any problems with not having one?

thanks

Dave

'''''''Just a thought''''''

I was wondering if it might have something to do with the cat?

my thinking on this is that my Volvo also with cat has the flexible joint.

Had to replace it once as the ceramics broke and blocked the flow.

The flexible joint is used to minimize the stress and vibrations (hence noise also) transmitted from the engine to rest of the system and to the chassis/body.

Advantages of a down pipe with a flexi joint:

- less noise

- less vibrations/stress/twist transmitted to the rest of exhaust system (including supports)

- there's no need to disconnect anything from the exhaust system if removing the gearbox / changing the clutch

Disadvantage:

- the flexi joint rusts and gets punctured (small holes like eaten by termites) long before the rest of the pipe.

The advantages are not so important for the more agricultural Defender. The Discovery was supposed to be more user friendly though ...

My money will always go on the flexi joint version for the Discovery.

Dave, I can't answer authoritatively, so until a more knowledgeable person comes along I'll offer one suggestion as being that the pipe might be longer than the defender and thus erequires a bit more flexibility ?

Have you noticed any increase in vibration or noise - that may be another reason, whereas on a Defender the noise vibration issue would not really make much difference ;)

Cheers

well actually yes I have, there seems to be a point at about 3000rpm where there is a drumming sound its very minor but still noticable, but the defender pipe is loads cheaper and a direct fit so I will put up with it for a bit

thanks for your help guys

I was just about to order a Defender down pipe for our Disco - based on lower cost and better breathing of a non cat one.

I was advised by a 'famous' supplier that the Defender one without the 'flexi' would end up cracking?!!

So had better stay with LR's design requirements! :blink:

I was just about to order a Defender down pipe for our Disco - based on lower cost and better breathing of a non cat one.

I was advised by a 'famous' supplier that the Defender one without the 'flexi' would end up cracking?!!

So had better stay with LR's design requirements! :blink:

That sounds like they were just trying to sell you a dearer one to me... they don't crack when fitted to Defenders do they?

I've had the solid Defender front pipe on my Disco for 2 years and over 30k without any cracking....

That sounds like they were just trying to sell you a dearer one to me... they don't crack when fitted to Defenders do they?

I've had the solid Defender front pipe on my Disco for 2 years and over 30k without any cracking....

Mines also had the solid pipe for a couple of years and no sign of problems. :D

Pete.

That sounds like they were just trying to sell you a dearer one to me...

Did cross my mind too!

Thankfully have not got one yet 'cos that sort of comment stops you in yer tracks a bit. :(