Front Diff

Dunc

Greetings all,

How do you know (without taking everything to bits) if you've got 10 spline/24 spline/x spline diffs?

The reason i want to know is that when you back off the throttle in my Rangey you get a growl from the passenger side front which a wise sage has diagnosed as a diff that isn't long for this earth.

To address this problem i've located this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diff-Front-Range-Rov...1QQcmdZViewItem

37_1_b.JPG

Clearly i want to make sure it'll fit before having a bid!

I'd love to treat this situation as God's way of telling me to put the rear diff in the front and a TrueTrac in the rear, but unfortunately he hasn't been very forthcoming on the lottery front!

A TrueTrac is £400-odd before they fit it! :o

Cheers

Dunc.

The Truetrac is pretty straight foward self fit as long as you have a decent vice & a dial guage Mag stand, a tool you shouldn't be without for a lot of work. I seem to remember they only come in 24 spline. Talk to David or Ian Ashcroft, you would be better with a Detroit locker on the rear & the Truetrac on the front.

I think they went to 24 inner / 32 outer around 91 with the introduction of ABS on both Rangie & Disco, I can't swear to it and somebody around is bound to have a definative answer, try to get the axle number off the casing if you can. Other than that the quickest wasy is to pull one of the rear half shafts for a look.

Anything earlier than 1989 will be 10 spline, from the factory but it's still worth checking the axle serial number in case it's had a replacement axle in the past.

The axle serial number is stamped either on the top or the front of the axle casing, on the left hand side, in line with the axle breather. It will be a three digit number followed by a letter suffix.

10 spline up to axle suffix 'G'. Axle suffix 'H' onwards 24 spline.

If you want a 10 spline I can do you a known good diff for £40 collect Basingstoke or + £20 P&P

07774277601 (mon-fri 8am-5pm)

I'd go as far as 1992 before being unsure about 10 / 24 spline.

I have had 2 1992 RR, both are 10 spline.

Be careful though - 1992 saw a lot of changes to specificaiton....... :o

I'd pull a rear half shaft - if that's 10 spline then the front will be the same. (Famous last words!!!)

Hello Dunc,

I had the same problem on my '92 RR with 2'' suspension lift.

Changed front diff, transfer box but still the same noise.

Finally found out that the front proshaft makes this kind of noise due to suspension lift.

I changed the propshaft and the noise was totally different.....I live with it now.

Good luck!

Joost

RR 3,9 '92

SII 88 '67

RRS 2006 coming soon

I had the same problem on my '92 RR with 2'' suspension lift.

Changed front diff, transfer box but still the same noise.

Finally found out that the front proshaft makes this kind of noise due to suspension lift.

I changed the propshaft and the noise was totally different.

Thanks for that. I'll check front prop too! :)

• 2 weeks later...