LT77 rattly shifter

My lt77 shifter rattles in 5th gear. If I put a finger on it and apply slight pressure to the side all is quite again. Is there an adjustment I can make or is there possibly a spring or something that has died? It's an early LT77, 1983 vintage.

My lt77 shifter rattles in 5th gear. If I put a finger on it and apply slight pressure to the side all is quite again. Is there an adjustment I can make or is there possibly a spring or something that has died? It's an early LT77, 1983 vintage.

Pull up the rubber gaiter around the gear lever - the lever itself is clamped onto a short stub from the gearbox with a single nut - I'd put money on that nut being slightly loose....

Matt

thats an r380 think hes on about a lt77 and yes theres a spring and plunger i had to replace the nylon cup on mine because there was a lot of play in the lever may have to check and adjust the bias springs too

Danster, Is the plastic cup you refered to FRC5859 "seat-ball end"? This looks like a plastic bushing that the ball at the bottom of the lever rides in. I'm thinking this could cause my problem if it's knackered.

Danster, Is the plastic cup you refered to FRC5859 "seat-ball end"? This looks like a plastic bushing that the ball at the bottom of the lever rides in. I'm thinking this could cause my problem if it's knackered.

yeah that was the one my gear lever was excessively sloppy replacing that and adjusting the bias springs cured it and you can check the spring and plunger is there

i presume the spring and plunger is just there to stop any small free play