disco 200tdi what is this item ???

turbomangler

hi , on 200tdi disco ,s ( not sure if this item is fitted to other models as well) under the dash on the drivers side is an electrical item of some kind . it is a black alluminium item about 50mm square and 25mm thick with cooling finns and an ally plate bolted to it which i guess to be an heat sink.it has an orange socket on the front with 5 terminals in it for the wiring plug and a number printed on it 37891A 2292 and made by lucas . as already said it is under the dash in the same area as the fuse box and the alarm controller. thats about the best i can describe it . but what is it / what does it do ??? does any body know ? i,m only wanting to find out what it is /does as i haven,t come across an item like this before , but have stripped the wireing from 2 disco,s and its now bugging me what it does !! hope some one can tell me . steve.

What are the wire colours at the connector?

Sounds like it may be a headlight dim/dip module as they dissipate a bit of heat.

If a Disco has dim/dip (never had one so don't know) then try putting the side lights on (which should then put the headlights on dim) then unplug the module and see if they go out.

Steve

It brings on the dip beam at one sixth brightness when only the sidelights are selected hence the cooling fins as its dumping voltage by increasing resistance which causes heat and needs to be got rid of - as its actually illegal* to drive only on sidelights - yeah, I know - why are they fitted then?

*: May prove to be total b0llocks, but it's what I was told by the big lads from the council estate.........