Daylight MOTs

gelf

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm

No such thing as a 'daylight MoT' if lights are not fitted or are masked over then is all else is OK you will get a normal MoT certificate. You should get an advisory showing that the lights weren't tested.

Just don't use it in road conditions where lights being on is a legal requirement.

I think you will find the lights need to be more than just masked over.

As a guide the SVA manual states it must not be possible to reinstate the lights without the use of workshop equipment. An advisory note within VOSA clarified this giving an example that something like crimp terminal tooling or soldering irons required rather than screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

Cutting the wires and tying them back should suffice along with removing the bulb and if possible the bulb holder.

I can find you the exact wording if you need to convince a tester.

Steve

There was an article about this in the testers magazine recently, I'll see if I've still got it.

As far as I'm aware (as a tester) you don't need any lights at all.

However, two points, just because you have an MOT doesn't mean you can't be stopped under construction and use regs.

If it's a space frame will it need an SVA?

The whole lack of lights situation seems ridiculous to me, on a bike OK, with the exception of a brake light, but on a car WTF!

Should have been done away with years ago.

I understand most cars presented for the test like this may never see a public road, but the MOT is supposed to be a basic certificate (within reason) of roadworthiness, IMO a car with no lights is not roadworthy.

If it's a competition vehicle organizers should cater for non road legal cars.

The MOT should not be used as basic form of scrutineering, and VOSA should not allow it.

If it is going to be used on the road then it should have it's full set of lights...period.

My opinion...Flame away.

Found the article, Section 4(3)a of the road vehicle (lighting) regulations 1989, as amended:

"Nothing in these regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to a vehicle not fitted with front and rear position lamps"

So if you don't fit front AND rear side lights you don't need ANY lamps for the MOT.

And.. "For the purposes of these regulations a lamp shall not be treated as a lamp if it is:"

a. So painted over or masked that it is not capable of being immediately used or readily put to use.

b. An electric lamp which is not provided with any system of wiring by means of which that lamp is, or can readily be, connected with a source of electricity.

As an aside if you don't fit side/headlamps, but do fit indicators OR stop lamps, these must work.

You must fit a horn.

So, there you go. ;)

I think you're going to need a laminated copy of 'Section 4(3)a of the road vehicle (lighting) regulations 1989' with a hole in the corner and cable tied to the dash. Think it's going to get a lot of use as BIB will take some convincing.

Steve