Cold air feed

Well, ok. I'll run an experiment.

Being MS'ed I can keep track of the intake temperature etc.

I'll try with an induction filter straight onto the plenum, and i'll try with a bit of pipework to get some cold air from outside the engine bay. I'll also check the difference sat at idle and when moving.

This is of course when I've finished it. :lol:

in my old nova i rigged up a temp sensor in the intake for curiosities sake.

The nova had been fitting with a larger engine from a corsa gsi and had an open cone filter in the engine bay.

Under normal driving, the air temp flowing into the intake was at ambient temp, and even at relatively low speeds didnt really climb much. The highest temp i ever saw was sitting at a set of traffic lights on a hot summers day in town, where it reached 50c, but quickly droped back to ambient once i started moving again.

I dont think you'll notice THAT much of a difference in all honesty, and its certainly not worth hugely extending the length of the intake just to get it closer to some cold air!

this is with a V8 though.... I've seen well over 50C in the engine bay on my MS IAT sender, and that wasn't working it hard, merely idling whilst setting up....

can confirm that my mates v8 get very warm under bonnet its better to warm your hands on his bonnet in the winter than on the fire

dave

ye i realise i'm comparing a 1.6 I4 with a 4L V8 but the bit i wanted to point out was that as soon as i started moving the temperature dropped very quickly...

And seen as your generally not too worried about maximum air density and maximum power while stationary i dont think its a big problem!