puncture tools

They're very good although you can buy them cheaper from agricultural tyre places. They allow repair of a TUBELESS tyre without removing the rim or tyre from the vehicle. Find the hole, use the reamer to make the hole bigger if required, put the string into the hole with the insertion tool, twist it and pull it out. The string stays in the hole and self vulcanises. If the hole is too big, put in more pieces of string until it seals.

The string bunches up on the inside of the tyre and is coated in a self vulcanising rubber solution, it's known as "sticky string" or "silastic string". It forms a mushroom type plug on the inside of the tyre making, to all intents and purposes, a permanent repair.

as dave says very good i have a set of tip top sealistic plugs like a small dickie bow shape ok to get you home ream the hole out and insert the plug in vulcanizing solution and insert in the hole as far as i am aware its illegal to use these on the highway off road only ive fixed punctures on jcb tyres where ive put 5 plugs to fix the hole but thay are very good chris

I'm not sure on the legal aspect i don't see any difference between using string or putting in a plug or even using tyre "gunge". I suspect it's more to do with the nature of the hole you are fixing than the method of fixing but, like you, I've been told it's not legal to run on the road but have no idea why or even if it is really the case.

I normally get tyres repaired properly after using the string but have ended up doing thousand's of road miles on repaired tyres without a problem. On the 2005 Outback Challenge every single tyre on my motor had at least one repaired puncture and one of them had 5 repairs !