Series gearbox bellhousings....

What you've forgotton is that you cannot simply change the bellhousing because the gears sit on the input shaft which passes through the bellhousing as well as the clutch sitting on it as well.

You need to remove the housing that sits over the input shaft, inside the bellhousing. Next, undo the nut or bolt on the end of the layshaft. The input shaft and layshaft gear should come away with the bellhousing.

Thanks guys. I've got the 2A box apart. Both the layshaft and input shaft stayed in the box, and just the bearings came off with the bellhousing.

Now I'm on the S3 box - I couldn't undo the bolt in the layshaft, so removed the bearing holder - the bearing wobbling around in the housing. The mainshaft however is stuck where it is. I've taken off the circlip, but it stubbornly refuses to move.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys. I've got the 2A box apart. Both the layshaft and input shaft stayed in the box, and just the bearings came off with the bellhousing.

Now I'm on the S3 box - I couldn't undo the bolt in the layshaft, so removed the bearing holder - the bearing wobbling around in the housing. The mainshaft however is stuck where it is. I've taken off the circlip, but it stubbornly refuses to move.

Any suggestions?

I might have got the wrong end of the stick. But the main bearing the main shaft / primary pinion or what ever its called goes through, is pressed hard on the shaft, and i think the bearing is similarly pressed into the housing (you have to do the hole oven/ freezer trick to get the lto to go together if i remember. You have to kind of "un hook" the pinion shaft from all the syncro assembley and pull it out with the bell housing. No idea if that makes any sense.

The bolt in the S3 layshaft is threadlocked in place. Select two gears at once to lock the box and get a decent enough length bar to undo.

The input shaft and matching gear on the layshaft should remove as a pair as the bellhousing lifts off.

Thanks guys.

After much agro I now have a working box. I ended up swapping some bearings over too, so hopefully this box should be pretty good.

Wish I had read your idea of selecting two gears - it would have been a little easier than my method of jamming the output flange, which inevitably falls off the moment you put any force on it...