300TDi Owner in need of some assistance

DiscoDeano

Hi All,

Brand new to this site and looking for some help please?

I have a 1995 N Plate 300 Tdi Disco with 105K on the clock. About 8 weeks ago I was travelling home from work on a dual carriageway doing about 50mph when with no warning, no lights on the dash, the engine just stopped. I coasted to a stop and popped the bonnet. Nothing unusual, no oil sprayed everywhere, filler cap in place etc.

Got back in five or so minutes later, turn on the ignition, pigtail goes out, and off she goes!!! On arrival home I got underneath to check in more detail. found the oil filter to be loose and barely finger tight. This was a wednesday and I had no other troubles for the rest of the week. Changed the oil and filter at the weekend and again no problems for a week or so.

Last week, completely out of the blue, once again no warning, no loud bangs or crashes, engine stops on the motorway. Pull onto hardshoulder, pop the bonnet, oil okay, filter tight on. Back in the car starts again! Changed the fuel filter that night when home, system filled okay, but the filler lever on the lift pump didnt appear to have any pressure? filter changed okay and filled nicely, car running as you'd expect.

Lo and behold yesterday morning on the trip to work, off she goes again. Two minutes standing on hard shoulder, she fires into life!

Does anyone know what this could be? I get no lights on the dash, no plumes of black or white smoke, no loud bangs or crunches, it just stops with at most a very little thud, which I presume is things just stopping in the engine.

Frustrating as hell as I dont want to carry on like this as you never when its going to go, and one time it might be with a big "expensive" bang.

Sorry for the long diatribe about my issue but wanted to give everyone the benefit of as much detail as poss.

Yours hopefully

Disco Deano (New Member 050509) :(

Boggy is right,at N reg if its a manual box it will have a spider - by far the most likely cause of the problem.Probably the easiest way to prove it is to piggyback one of the front side light wires and feed the pump solenoid with it.This makes the lighting switch control the stop solenoid,and bypasses the spider.If it proves reliable then buy part # AMR4956 and use it to replace the spider.

Just don't do it for long because the side light wiring is able to take less power than the stop solenoid wiring - at least it is on a Defender!

I 'hot wired' my solenoid from one of the large 60A fuses via a switch inside the bonnet after (as I found out later) a multiplug had burnt out the solenoid connection. The only problem was I had to open the bonnet to operate the switch. On a Disco you can take the power directly from the battery quite easily.