Update on my ABS/HD/TC lights

muddyplugger

Just thought I'd post an update on these 3 amigos of mine!

I originally thought I had a dicky O/S/R ABS sensor fault, as, when testing the resistance of them all, that was the odd one out. (Warning Lights on all the time, no amount of turning on and off would solve them).

I bit the bullet and took it to the Main Stealers for them to stick it on 'Testbook'. (£47 for 1/2 hour diagnostic :angry: )

The result came back N/S/F wheel sensor throwing an erratic signal, and Lift Pump fault. I asked if the mechanic could could show me the lift pump (hadn't a clue where/what this did). The reply was to just change the wheel sensor and see if still happens, if it does replace the ABS ECU (£1150 quoted for the part).

When I returned to the car, the 3 lights I had been living with for 2 months, were operating correctly and went out! Hurrah! I dont know what 'testbook' had done but (so far) the lights are off. (I'm not holding my breath as I didnt expect a fix!)

I am going to put it through the MOT ASAP, incase the lights return, I dont mind £53 for ABS sensor, but a Grand for the Lift Pump? What the heck does that do??? :huh:

Its times like this that the old defender without its electric trickery is sitting on the drive looking very smug!

I guess they mean the ABS modulator block which is the block on the LH inner wing with lots of pipes going in and out of it, they are about a grand and it is the ABS pump and all the twiddly bits that control the braking action. They do break sometimes... and the price is horrific!

There was a recall on the ABS/TCS modulators for Defender and Discovery. Has yours been checked?

Might be worth checking as you don't want to pay that sort of price for a replacement part!

Cheers for now.

The recall is for leaks and all that is changed is the 2 cover plates on top have additional ones added over the top of them with longer screws! So unless it is leaking I don't think the recall will make any difference to the internals of the thing.

Yup, tried the recall thing, they returned with a printout showing that the recall job was carried out 2002! Damn it!

So far its all quiet, so I'm fingers crossed until MOT on Tuesday. After then it can light up all it wants! At least I will have the whole year to fix it.

Looks like you have been to somebody that knows what they are doing. The techy would have read & cleared the ABS ECU fault memory ……. you can only do this with the Testbook or an equivalent scanner such as the Snap-on or Sun. Sensors have a habit of throwing up odd (and not always correct) fault reports back to the ECU …… the correct method is to read and clear the memory …….then run the car to see if it reappears. Not sure about the disco but a lot of ECU’s store 14 – 20 fault code events ……. but just one will give you the lights warning :angry: .

The fault stored must have shown the two fault codes that he told you about ………. If you have got an intermittent sensor (not uncommon) then get it MOT’ed ASAP before it throws a wobbly again.

BTW: That’s not a bad price ………….. most stealers (make regardless) charge about £60 to £90 for a diagnostics test.

Ian

Wasnt there an another ( earlier) recall on SII discos, concerning ABS sensors returning "spurious" signals that would trigger the modulator? This would result in a slight vibration on the pedal...

Not sure what the actual fix was in that case...

Ive experienced this on and off on my 2000 SII, but recently its started displaying all the ABS/TC/HDC lights too... And its due an NCT/MOT soon....

des

Wasnt there an another (earlier) recall on SII discos, concerning ABS sensors returning "spurious" signals that would trigger the modulator? This would result in a slight vibration on the pedal...

Yes but I think this was due to the ABS relay sensor sticking, which retarded the vehicle after braking.

The ABS lights 'thing' does not apperar to be a 'safety issue' with Land Rover, so if its out of warranty - tough luck. :(

Before you go to all the trouble of changing the sensor ……..look carefully at the connector ………. They have a habit of water ingress which causes intermittent bad contacts ;) .

Pity that you are not closer to me ……….. we could have cleared the memory again with the ECU scanner .

Ian

Cheers.

I think I will do that, as my wife is convinced the problem is related to weather - if its been dry for a while ( not often in dublin...) it seems to behave, but after a few days of rain it reappears.

I will check the connections tonight, and check the resistence of the sensors to see if they are in range. I presume that the range given in the workshop manual can be checked statically - i.e while the vehicle is stationary?

des