drivers electric window

ashtray

any ideas of why my window wont go up, it will pull up easily, motor turns ok and the teeth are visble on the regulator. Havnt taken the regulator out yet to look further just wondered if anyone knew of why it has failed. the motor got loaded full of grease a few months back when it started to squeak, could this be the cause?

switch is ok, motor turns freely both ways. When the window is going down it gets to its lowest most point and the motor carries on spinning freely until it times itself out after a set period. The motor is never under any load so something must be slipping.

The motor has a small drive cog, which engages on a crescent-shaped toothed drive that's attached to the lifting mechanism on the bottom of the window glass? I think, that the crescent piece stops the window from being pulled down too far because it becomes flat after the last tooth, so it in effect jams. Perhaps the window is simply being allowed to go too far and the teeth are disengaging off the mechanism. Just a guess really, but it's what I would look at first.

Les.

I don't know (wouldn'y have thought so if it runs in both directions ok. I would look at the mechansim first. Does the crescent travel an equal amount in either direction? there's not much more I can say without seeing it - sorry :(

Les.

any ideas of why my window wont go up, it will pull up easily, motor turns ok and the teeth are visble on the regulator. Havnt taken the regulator out yet to look further just wondered if anyone knew of why it has failed. the motor got loaded full of grease a few months back when it started to squeak, could this be the cause?

HI had similar problem on my p38 it was the window regulator would go down but had to use the switch and give it a help in hand to come back up with a lot of clatering noise . will cost around £200 to fix through independent dealer or you might get the part of the bay for around £30/40 and do it your self looks quite straight forward this is apparently a common problem. hope this helps

From what i'm getting is that the window goes down ok but is sluggish to go back up.

Mine used to do this so i had taken the glass out a cleaned all the muck from around the edges of the windows and cleaned the channles the windows run up in.

After that they worked fine.

Dave

ok saturday afternoon im gonna remove the regulator and motor. im suspecting its gonna be an internal fault with the motor. I think having too much teflon grease has caused one of the internal gears of the motor to separate from its shaft. Thanks guys for all your opinions, i shall let you know what the fault is when its removed

Hi,

Last year had a similar fault with mine. It went past the stop at the bottom and would not go up. Made lots of noise but no movement. Current fix is block of wood in bottom of door as stop until mechanism fails. So far had to replace both front mechanisms due to bending of weak metal.

If motor runs one way then it should run the other as it only reverses polarity so switch is more likely cause, or sticking mechanism.

motor turns both ways, and is always in contact with the regulator. The window will fall by itself over bumps, so this is why the window only goes down, its as if the gear on the motor is slipping on its spindle, or another type of internal fault. will add some pictures if i find anything strange on the weekend, if i get time though as going to sodbury sortout

well looks like the window will be on hold for a while now. got bigger issues now. Driving around last night and the clutch pedal dropped to half its height, got progessively lower over about a mile of gearchanges and went straight to the floor and never came back up. Pumped the pedal a few times and its back up now but the pedal doesnt move. Managed to limp it back to work doing clutchless gearchanges... fun...

Am guessing that the clutch fork is now holed? The clutch was replaced by the previous owner a couple of years back but obviously didnt have the fork changed. Could anyone correct me if these symptoms are leading to a replacement fork or other fault.

Thanks

cheers les for the pictures. parts wise im gonna need to order a clutch kit ( might as well even though its only 2 years old) including the thrust bearing etc. a new fork, anything else i should change, crank rear oil seal? easy job with flywheel removed? Also whats the land rover book time, or rough time to replace clutch and fork with full use of a workshop and 2 poster ramp? with one person and help when needed if any weightlifting is required for the gearbox

You might get it done and dusted in 3-4hrs if you have a lift. You won't be able to support the transfer case though unless you put a beam across the plates of the ramp. Bear in mind that if the box rotates on a 300TDi Disco - it jams on the support framework inside the transmission tunnel and is a right pig to get upright again. You MUST keep the box level at all times. Do the crank seal if it's leaking, but otherwise leave well alone. If it needs to be replaced, then use genuine only - for some reason, a lot of after-market ones tend to leak. Older seals have a paper gasket, but newer ones are shim steel. Whichever gasket you use - also use rtv sealant too. Don't over-tighten the seal retaining bolts - they will distort the housing and cause it to leak. Clean the seal land with 1200 wet/dry - used wet with WD40 or thin oil, or use wire wool. The seal is supposed to be fitted dry, but I always put a film of grease on the lip of the seal and also the land. The seal should also come with a fitting cone already in place - make sure the cone fits over the end of the crank and then slide the seal over it. If you don't use the cone it's likely that the lip of the seal will flip or get damaged. Get both clips - thrust bearing and pushrod. Also put a cable tie on the end of the rod so that if you ever need to replace the slave - the rod won't come out with it (which is slightly annoying :) ) Coppaslip grease in the spigot bearing (replace it if it's worn), also on the thrust bearing slide, and the clutch lever pivot point. Check the slipper pads for wear - both on the outside ovality and also the hole in the centre of each one - they are only 80p each.

Les.

fantastic information les. I have a few hydraulic 4-6ft jacks (or axle stands) at work, also i have an automatic gearbox cradle (flat base) that is adjustable and has a support chain, would this help in supporting the gearbox. am i right in saying that putting a hydraulic jack underneath both ends of the gearbox and rolling it back would be ok? or can it be left to sit partially in the crossmember?

cheers les

oh right :lol: . Well hopefully it should make it a lot easier with all these fancy jacks. got news from paddocks today that AP (previously borg and beck) have gone into administration so i couldnt get hold of that clutch so they are now supplying me with a britpart HD unit, hoping its similar in quality!

once again cheers les

well i've done the clutch and fork. What an epic!! 8 hours it took, not an easy job, definately not doing it on a discovery again, maybe on a defender but there just isnt the room at the top of the tunnel on a disco. One thing i noticed though during it, when unbolting the rear prop (with the gearbox sitting lower than normal fixed height, transfer box oil came out, and quite a lot of it, is this normal? cos there isnt really any coming out through the bottom of the handbrake drum.

once again cheers les for your technical guide to doing a clutch change and for all your advice

3-places it can leak from - the shaft where it comes through the drive flange (there should be a sealing washer behind the nut to prevent this). The flange oil seal where it exits the transfer case rear housing (it would leak oil out through the handbrake/backplate or the backplate itself). Transfer case rear housing gasket failure.

If the rear seal fails, there's supposed to be a drain to prevent oil from getting on the handbrake shoes. If the drain is clear, then oil comes out here -

med_gallery_2_363_791132.jpg

Guided by this plate on the inside.

med_gallery_2_133_1668719.jpg

If the drain is blocked, then oil overflows and covers the shoes and drum, then leaks out of the bottom of the brake drum.

med_gallery_2_133_622602.jpg

Les.