d2 air suspension problems

aid-666

hi everyone, my rear suspension has started to act odd, the drivers side has started to deflate completely sometimes. it can stay up over night, then after its been driven can deflate straight away when you stop, then sometimes it can stay up for a few hours then deflate.

it always pumps up in about 100yds, driving is not affected though. i have pumped it up to off road level and sprayed it with soapy water to check for bubbles but all seems ok.

does anyone have any ideas?

This sounds like a leaking airbag and as the leak often occurs in the folds it can be hard to detect .

And as the deflation is random unless you spray it when it is actually leaking all will seem fine .

I had pretty much the same problem on my 2001 Td5 - could go down within 20 mins of parking and then not go down for 3 days - and fitting a new airbag solved it for good .

The deflation will likely begin to happen more often and this means more work for the compressor which can cause it to throw in the towel . So it would be advisable to change the bag sooner rather than later .

I presume there can be other causes but this seems typical for an airbag .

That was exactly my experience, and no amount of spraying with soapy water revealed the leak. A new airbag was quickly and easily fitted (cut the pipe and shove it in the new bag fitting). My problem was that it didn't inflate afterwards. Search the threads for possible solutions - not quite sure which sorted it for me (I think it might have been the dancing naked, clockwise round the car by the light of a full moon)

hi everyone, fitted air bag, fixed broken pipe that we found, went to pick up new caravan yesterday, suspension collapsed on m5, r a c to get home. spring kit ordered today, will be fitted wed night to go on holiday friday.

• 2 weeks later...