Rear diff problems (on 2 Discoverys!)

TDi.Si

Hi all,

My truck has managed to destroy 3 rear diffs in the last 4 weeks. Now I need my 7th diff in just over a year! I had one break whilst gentle green laning, second was at Mintey pay and play whilst going up a gentle incline and the 3rd was at the local quary up another small slope. My friend's Disco also broke a diff at the quary. We both have Llama chalenge kits fitted but with different springs. Somone has suggested that the props may be maxing out (length wise) and either pulling or pushing the diff nose due to the excessive articulation. The dammage to the diff is the same each time, the pin that goes through the planetry gears snaps, or pushes the circlip off (circlip has only come off on one occasion).

To me it does sound feasible, could this be the problem and what can I do about it? I don't want to spend £500 on a 4 pin diff or £xxxx on a locker! Its supposed to be a cheap toy!

Cheers, Si.

3320_161588025290_618050290_6416696_7851204_n.jpg

I can't see any way that pressure on the pinion will snap the pin holding the planetaries in place, it would have to bugger up the pinion bearings completely to allow it anywhere near the planetary cage and that would then chew up the ring and pinion so the whole diff would be scrap.

Too much right foot and the tyres you have fitted in the picture would do it though... maybe the pin cracked from previous abuse and didn't fall out immediately as the first two examples shouldn't have broken anything.

ill second that , tyres and right foot

as soon as u put big tyres on rover diffs are rubbish

i did 7 diffs in 6 months ish , never broke a cv of shaft tho

i was on 35" procomps now on 37" boggers , blew 3 diffs in one weekend with the boggers :o

i thought about ARB lockers ect but other things will start breaking , u get in2 big money to upgrade cvs , shafts ect

know what u mean bout ment to be cheep fun but it never works like that