200 tdi losing power

hi, since doing the head gasket, timing belt, diesel pump and clutch on my 1992 200tdi 90, after driving for a while if i boot it in 4th, 5th and sometimes 3rd it loses power and graudually dies and settles untill it reaches 35-40 and sometimes when i slow down it will misfire and i find it hard to pull away again, i took out the air filter as it looked manky but no difference.

i was thinking mayby lift pump or blocked pipe as filter is new.

the engine is a disco one with a 90 timing case if that for some reason would make a difference

any help appreciated

cheers, ethan

hi, since doing the head gasket, timing belt, diesel pump and clutch on my 1992 200tdi 90, after driving for a while if i boot it in 4th, 5th and sometimes 3rd it loses power and graudually dies and settles untill it reaches 35-40 and sometimes when i slow down it will misfire and i find it hard to pull away again, i took out the air filter as it looked manky but no difference.

the engine is a disco one with a 90 timing case if that for some reason would make a difference

any help appreciated

cheers, ethan

I had sort of the same problem and mine was because the diesel pump timming was out a little.

Is your fuel tank pressurising? Mine did this on my TD. The pressure in the tank meant that there was effectivley a blockage on the return fuel pipe which backed up and prevented enough fuel being pumped for hi speeds. Dismantling and cleaning the filler cap solved it as the breather in the cap wasn;t releasing pressure. Lift pump is the next place i'd look and check the fuel pump timing is correct as above.

any help appreciated

cheers, ethan

I'd start by checking the timing. Make sure you get hold of the correct timing pins as the timing marks tend to be a couple of degrees out on a 200tdi.

Then if thats ok your looking for a fuel starvation problem. A clear BIC pen can be inserted into the fuel line to look for air in the fuel lines between the lift pump and the injector pump.

If you have just had the injector pump serviced then this could be the problem.

Fuel filter... change it

other things to check... is there a small filter on the fuel pickup in the tank, if that gets blocked you won't pick up enough fuel and the lift pump will fail due to sucking against this obstruction. Is the tank breather blocked?

Your symptoms are exactly what I suffered and the above fixes sorted it. problem caused by using dirty jerry cans of fuel- -paint flecks blocked up the system a treat. :angry: