Optima battery

mbm

Optima customer service is a slow one, so:

1. The "bigger" Optima red top I can find in their site is rated 50 Ah; does this mean that their Ah are "better" than regular batteries?

2. Or shall I use two in my 99 2.5 Dse?

3. Anyone using it and can give some help?

Thanks

mário

Mario,

you might do well to check the thread running in the International forum right now. Must admit I went the Exide Maximas when I started looking into gel batteries in part because Optima clearly sold variants of yellow (and red) tops but it was never clear when you saw prices which variant you where getting.

Mario,

you might do well to check the thread running in the International forum right now. Must admit I went the Exide Maximas when I started looking into gel batteries in part because Optima clearly sold variants of yellow (and red) tops but it was never clear when you saw prices which variant you where getting.

Thank you, I'm aware of that thread (and done a search before), but my concern is different.

First I can get Optima at very low prices, half of Exide.

I have a yellow one in my Disco and recently bought one red top 800-250 to the RR.

By mistake (lights on) it totally discharged and I had to send The RR to local franchised workshop because it was asking for some emergency code.

There I was told that the battery is not suitable to the RR’s and it must be changed; they say the 50 ah is not enough to use in the RR. They have no knowledge or experience about Optimas and I think that they may be wrong.

Best regards,

Interresting.

This is the best I can find on the Optima range http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/ giving a comprehensive listing of specs with a nice explanation of both Amp Hours and Reserve Minutes.

Seems at 50AH your battery will only sustain 2.5A for 20 hours which with the number of gadgets even in sleep mode on a RR does seem on the low side.