200 tdi overheating... and gearbox touble. Help!

I have a disco 200tdi in my 90 and it gets way too hot when I go on the motorway, the needle doesn't go all the way into the red but its close to it.

yet it's fine with normal driving, could the thermostat be stuck closed?

Also my gearbox won't go into second for the first 5 minutes or so untill it is up to running temperature. I have no idea why, anyone got any ideas???

Cheers.

I have a disco 200tdi in my 90 and it gets way too hot when I go on the motorway, the needle doesn't go all the way into the red but its close to it.

yet it's fine with normal driving, could the thermostat be stuck closed?

Also my gearbox won't go into second for the first 5 minutes or so untill it is up to running temperature. I have no idea why, anyone got any ideas???

Cheers.

If the thermostat was stuck closed it would overheat all the time, even at low revs. Most likely scenario is the radiator fins have corroded away, check the back of the radiator. These symptoms are exactly the same as I had with my 200Tdi, although mine is the pukka Defender engine.

Here is a picture of my radiator once I took the fan cowl off the back.

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt12/ma...ett/Picture.jpg :o

As for the gearbox, have you tried changing the oil or checked the level? Could be a worn synchro too.

HTH.

Mark

Thanks for the suggestions.

I replaced the old engine (also a disco 200tdi) a few months ago and it is only since then that the problems have started, that's why I didn't think it would be the radiator or temperature gauge. The old engine never used to overheat with the same radiator, also surely on the motorway is when the radiator would be most effective???

Is it possible that I could have damaged the gearbox when I put in the new engine? When I started the car for the first time the clutch didn't seem to dissengage at all but when I tried again it was fine. Could the problem be the clutch not fully dissengaging? but it seems to be fine selecting first when stationary.

I also recently replaced the gear oil. It was definitely the correct oil and I filled it correctly to the level of the filler plug....

Thanks for the help, I'm running out of ideas!

surely on the motorway is when the radiator would be most effective???

Yes, but it is also when the engine is working the hardest and when the rad needs to work the most.

I would also vote for poor rad efficiency; either missing fins, or poor circulation. What is the difference in temp between the top and bottom hoses like?

As for your gearbox, if it's an LT77, older ones tend to be slow into second until warmed up; mine was till I rebuilt it. What kind of miles are on the box? I'd say it's unlikely you've damaged it. You could try difflocks funky MTF; they improve the gearchange apparently.

If it was a dragging clutch, i would have thought you'd have problems in all gears.

EDIT: to add another thought; you've changed the engine, are you still running the correct sender for the gauge? i.e. are you sure it is actually overheating?