Battery volts needed to turn over a 200tdi.

hi All, Further to my battery problem- when I try to turn the engine I just get a continual clicking sound from the starter motor. Surely 11.6 volts should be enough in the battery to start it? As soon as the jump leads go on it fires into life straight away. So, as my wipers and indicators work at normal speed, could it be the starter motor is at fault, needing extra current? thanks again.

11.6 volts without load is not a healthy battery. the voltage will collapse under load. the starter draws far more current than the wipers or indicators.

If the starter is clicking, I could almost guarantee the voltage whilst attempting to crank will be <5v.

New battery time.

hi All, Further to my battery problem- when I try to turn the engine I just get a continual clicking sound from the starter motor. Surely 11.6 volts should be enough in the battery to start it? As soon as the jump leads go on it fires into life straight away. So, as my wipers and indicators work at normal speed, could it be the starter motor is at fault, needing extra current? thanks again.

Its not so much voltage as current that becomes the problem with a dead battery. If it starts fine with jump leads then either you alternator isn't charging your battery or your battery is dead. Try the battery voltage when trying to start the car. You will prob find that it drops to 9v or so indicated a discharged battery

Its not so much voltage as current that becomes the problem with a dead battery. If it starts fine with jump leads then either you alternator isn't charging your battery or your battery is dead. Try the battery voltage when trying to start the car. You will prob find that it drops to 9v or so indicated a discharged battery

Thanks for that, my ammeter shows a charge rate well over to the right and no red light appears on the dash, therefore I guees its trying to charge it but the battery must be duff? Ta for help.

Three basic things we all need to know to help are:

1/ Voltage of battery with no load applied (ignition off etc)

2/ Voltage across battery terminals during starting cycle

3/ Voltage across the battery terminals when it is running

Overcharging by the alternator is more fatal than no charging at all. Your lights will be brighter than normal (including the interior one) if this is the case and it wil cook the battery and maybe the rest of the electrical system.

The voltage across the batteries on tickover (once revved to knock off the charging light) should be somewhere between 13.8v and 14.6v depending on how fresh the alternator is in my experience. The wife's Astra was running at 17.3v when the alternator packed up....

a fully charged 12v lead acid battery should show 12.6-12.8v

Once your below about 12.3v its discharged, and below 12v its most definately dead.

The clicking is caused by the battery voltage dropping when it tries to engage the starter motor. When you turn the key, you energise the solenoid which engages the starter. The massive load caused by the starter causes the battery voltage to drop, and the solenoid disengages. Once it disengages the load is now gone, battery voltage recovers and the solenoid enagages again.