So, we can safely assume noises aren't good...

...TD 90 with lt77 and lt230.

Noises:

Clunk on taking up drive.

Scrape or rattle or squeal (depending on its mood) when moving. These noises get worse, the more revs put on and go away when declutched.

Squealy brakes...

Oh, and not forgetting the engine no longer turns off when ignition switched off, which i assume is it running on oil, but I've heardread that this tends to be while revving madly. Mine just idles normally then eventually turns off. I've not tested this, but there seems to be a correlation in the time/speed it's been running and the time it idles past being turned off...

Anyone with any diagnosiseseses?

All i can say is it seems f***ed...

And her MOT is next month, so it's all fun and games.

the clunk could be any number of things - prop joints, slack in the diffs/gearbox/transfer box.

the engine not switching off will be either a broken wire to the stop solenoid (on top of the injector pump) or the actual solenoid itself.

have a look on the injector pump for a single wire going to a round ish type protrusion, that's the stop solenoid, when you turn the ignition off, it cut's the fuel supply in the pump.

the engine not switching off will be either a broken wire to the stop solenoid (on top of the injector pump) or the actual solenoid itself.

have a look on the injector pump for a single wire going to a round ish type protrusion, that's the stop solenoid, when you turn the ignition off, it cut's the fuel supply in the pump.

The engone would not start if the wire to the stop solenoid was broken. Take the wire off the solenoid, switch on the ignition then touch the wire to the stop solenoid, you should hear a click. If you do then the feed to the solenoid is working and the stop solenoid is working, it doesn't mean it's working properly though.

The stop solenoids get swarf in them from wear on the cam plate, this stops the solenoid closing effectively but it gradually strangles the fuel over time and eventually stops. Take the solenoid out and check the internals for evidence of swarf.

If the engine was worn enough to be running on it's own oil, they normally rev themselves to death because the oil flow into the combustion chambers is unregulated, unlike the fuel delivered by the pump.

HTH,.

Mark.