2.5 petrol exhaust manifold gasket

Need to remove the manifolds to replace a couple of broken studs.

The parts defender 110 parts manual (1987-) I have only shows some gaskets for the inlet manifold. Are there exhaust manifold gaskets that go between head and exhaust manifold or is some sort of compound used, or is it really just a metal-to-metal seal?

Hmm .. Just looked at the WSM and it mentions "Coat the face of the exhaust manifold with Rocol anti-seize compound Foliac J 166 (paste) and the corresponding face of the cylinder head." What would be the modern equivalent.

I have now just found that some of the online sites are listing a on piece exhaust / inlet manifold gasket for the 2.25, will this fit the 2.5 ?

Cheers Aaron

Need to remove the manifolds to replace a couple of broken studs.

The parts defender 110 parts manual (1987-) I have only shows some gaskets for the inlet manifold. Are there exhaust manifold gaskets that go between head and exhaust manifold or is some sort of compound used, or is it really just a metal-to-metal seal?

Hmm .. Just looked at the WSM and it mentions "Coat the face of the exhaust manifold with Rocol anti-seize compound Foliac J 166 (paste) and the corresponding face of the cylinder head." What would be the modern equivalent.

Cheers Aaron

No, originally there were no gaskets for the exhaust, and just some very thin tin gaskets for the inlet manifold. Apparently some of the late 2.25 engines were like this as well.

However, when I had my exhaust manifold checked by the engineering shop near work it was not flat - about 1mm out. This was probably just due to natural expansion/contraction of the metal. I was told to use a 2.25 petrol gasket (combined inlet/exhaust) to allow some movement if needed in the future becuse this is probably why one branch had cracked.

When I got the gasket it was really badly made and obstructed the exhaust ports by several mm on each one. I ended up chopping it into four sections and matching each one to the ports. Very unlike me to be so fussy, and probably a bit over the top, but I thought if it protruded into the port it woul be more likely to burn it and fail early.

The welded repair on the original manifold was badly done and I couldn't use it - I ended up getting a new one made by **itpart. Quality is rubbishe - the casting was rubbish and I had to spend nearly two hours with a drill/grinder-thingy opening up the ports and smoothing off massive bits of the casting! It was £50 as opposed to £200 though!