winch problem

I have justed fitted a cheapo secondhand Tmax 9.5 to my defender. it has been fitted with a brand new albright following the forum wiring diagram. all worked well then as i was spooling the wire out to attempt a recovery the motor slowed and upon retsarting 9thinking my battery was taking ahmmering) the motor wouldn't turn :angry: The solenoid clicks, so I'm guessing it's a bad connection or earth somewhere. Does anybody have any thoughts or pointers for where i should start looking :(

When I had these symptoms on a winch it was the motor dying... :(

It is worthwhile checking your earths first though - should run from motor casing direct to battery, not via the chassis.

Are you getting 12V to the winch terminals when the solenoid clicks?

On the back casing of my Tabor 9k (Warn) was a small hole. I use a small rod an hammer it real hard to get the casing loose from the bearing. Getting it back was easy tho.

I don't know about your winch, but using heat might be risky since there were plastic details in mine.

a little heat was needed to free the bearing from the ally housing.

In the end I bought a new motor for a cheap price. I could have revived the old one but it had some wear and clearly water/silt had got in and not drained out. The price for new was very good (£70).

When I looked carefully at the winch plate that hold the drum and the motor, I noticed two small slots in the ally that would allow water and carp into the motor casing. The gearbox end is fitted with gaskets to seal it up, so I used a fair bit of hylomar on both ends of the motor and sealed these channels up.

The motor might need a vent fitting to it, but there is plenty of scope to drill the motor's casing and fit a vent line.

Looking at the winch they're not that bad. I think because they're made for the Australian market they don't perceive deep water or something! :huh::D