tyre wear question

jonno

i have a 200tdi disco on an l plate.

i noticed today i need a new front drivers side tyre as it has worn down to the tread indicator.on closer inspection it is more worn on he inner of the tyre.the front passenger side tyre has also worn more on the inner side of the tyre.the back tyres are both wearing evnly.

so the question is what is the likly cause as i want to sort it if i can before i replace the font tyres.i cant feel play in the bearings and the ball joints and bushes seem ok.

thanks in advance jonno.

The first thing to check is your front wheel alignment (tracking).

From your description it would appear that your the front wheels are ' toed out ' - leading to wear on the inner edges .

Bear in mind that when you get the alignment set correctly , and the tyres wear evenly across their width , the inner part will become illegal before the rest of the tread .

Looking at the outside of the tyre could then be misleading - make sure the wheels are turned so that you can see the full width of the tread when checking .

thanks for the replies.

i put the good rear wheels from the back onto the front today and i will be getting 2 new tyres put on the back tommorrow.

i had a better look at everything and found everything looking ok except for a little play in the front passenger side hub.the play is when i rock the wheel with hands in the 12 and 6 o'clock position. there is no play with hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

can the bearings be adjusted or is it a case of replacing them?

thanks again,jonno

Play at 6 &12 could just be wheel bearing adjustment but you need to check the swivel hub bearings as well, same test with someone watching to see where the movement is.

Question for others, was this also symptomatic of a seized viscous or centre diff, prob not in your case but, knowledge = wealth.

Play at 6 &12 could just be wheel bearing adjustment but you need to check the swivel hub bearings as well, same test with someone watching to see where the movement is.

Question for others, was this also symptomatic of a seized viscous or centre diff, prob not in your case but, knowledge = wealth.