NAS spec lamps.....

are the bulb holders a bit poo?

I have had three bulb holder contacts break off now. I'm begining to regret ditching the Mil-spec lamps.

I noticed the silver tin contact on three of mine has broken off leaving a nice bit of tin flapping around in the bulb housing.

I have been able to solder a lump of tinned copper wire on to repair it, but this is not the point.

The lamps are expensive any way you look at it and the bulb holder thingy comes with either the fog, indicator or sidelamp, so you take your choice which one to spend £7 to replace. I have a spare lens or two from the point where I couldn't be bothered to mess about.

Mine are the Bearmach boxed versions and using connectors from VWP.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Pete

Hi

I've not long ago fitted the Nas lights and they haven't been on long enough to find your troubles out yet but I will keep an eye on things and keep you updated.

However the black plastic adaptor that allows easy fitting from standard to NAS lights looks the part but me thinks its not going to be that robust in the long term as it rocks about on the retaining screws.

Anyone else found this?

There are NAS spec lights and there are NAS spec look a likes. Make sure you have got L E Perei ones and you won't have problmes with the lamp holders.

Yup they are the original ones L E perei, they were boxed items from bearmach. I was wary of cheap copies after the wipac bagged specials from paddocks.

Ian the first sign of trouble is a non working fog/indicator/side/reverse lamp. When you remove the lamp from the plinth and the bulb holder it then becomes apparent what the cause is.

I reckon the 180 deg angle the tin contact has been bent through has caused the matal to become stressed/brittle and a few more spring cycles from inserting/changin bulb causes it to fracture on the curved section.

Pete

Yup they are the original ones L E perei, they were boxed items from bearmach. I was wary of cheap copies after the wipac bagged specials from paddocks.

Ian the first sign of trouble is a non working fog/indicator/side/reverse lamp. When you remove the lamp from the plinth and the bulb holder it then becomes apparent what the cause is.

I reckon the 180 deg angle the tin contact has been bent through has caused the matal to become stressed/brittle and a few more spring cycles from inserting/changin bulb causes it to fracture on the curved section.

Pete

My plan is to soldier in LED lamp replacements then silicone the things watertight and just buy a new set in 10 years when I need to replace one. Anything else just does not seem wise on a Defender. (well I am also doing my harness by hand with multi-strand cable and weatherpac connectors :) )