SqueeEEEeeEeEEEAky Brakes!!!!

Hi all. Fitted new pads all round to my hi cap and now i got a helluver squeel coming from the back. the new pads didn't come with the ali anti rattle jobbies and the old ones were shot, so i chucked em. same with the return springs that the retainers slide through. shot and binned. a mate says i should smear a bit of copper grease on the back of the pads and all should be well. is it that simple? i'm sure the ali plates were put in there for a reason, can i just slip in a couple if pieces made from my neighbours caravan sides? would a little vibration really cause all that god awful dog-curdling noise? makes my skin crawl, it's 'orrible!

cheers! :P

:unsure: When I had that squeeeeeellly-squeeky noise on mine it was a wrong brake disk which touched the calliper holder badly. Changed to new plate and lo and behold teeth stopped grinding.. :blink: But father Ralph is always right :)

Using coppaslip grease in place of the right anti-squeal shims will only stop it for a while until brake heat dissipates it. You should fit the shims and the noise will be gone. It's worth mentioning that some of the cheaper brands of brake pads tend to squeal straight away or shortly after fitting.

Les.