Series Fuel Guage.. help

royAB

Evening all,

a little tech help please... Fuel gauge on my series started doing an odd trick today: Turn on motor & needle rises to show level (currently 1/2 tank) then, after a couple of seconds, needle sinks slowly back to zero. Turn motor off & back on again, repeat performance. ..

Any ideas as to the cause in advance of dismantling things much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Evening all,

a little tech help please... Fuel gauge on my series started doing an odd trick today: Turn on motor & needle rises to show level (currently 1/2 tank) then, after a couple of seconds, needle sinks slowly back to zero. Turn motor off & back on again, repeat performance. ..

Any ideas as to the cause in advance of dismantling things much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Whish Series is it? The gauges are different between SIII and earlier vehicles.

Guest otchie1
Thanks RT. Voltage regulator was going to be my 1st port of call - easiest place to get to!

Wisdom has it that it's best replaced by an electronic unit from your local Tandy. 10V IIRC.

Check the quality of the gauge to fuel tank and fuel tank to ground connections while you are checking the voltage to fuel gauge connections per the earlier posts. You could just be dealing with a very poor electric connection.

I don't recall your vehicle year, but the trucks factory wired for positive earth didn't have voltage regulators (at least in the States) so I thought I would provide something else to check.

I've had nothing but trouble with electronic relacements and have gone back to theold dinosaur technology as it works and is reliable!

Jon

Ditto, and the old Lucas one can be adjusted.

If you are brave enough to pry it open, you can probably fix it too!

G.