Sponge/foam stuff across air intake?

SPendrey

Hi, forgive me for maybe misdescribing this, but here goes...

There's a kind of sponge/foam stuff across the entire front of what I assume is the air intake (for cooling you down, not the car) running horizontally just under the wipers and under the bonnet. It is a grey plastic feeling foam, except mine just seems to crumble to nothing when touched. So, I plan to replace it, but what with? Regular sponge will probably absorb and hold water. Is there a specific type of sponge, or anything else?

Thanks,

Scott

I replaced my 11 year old foam last year, I went aquarium shop and got some plastic filter foam. It comes as flat sheet enough to do three discos about £3.50 a sheet, there's several grades/density of foam so take some of your existing stuff along to match up although you will need the light density one, the one you can see a bit of light through, some of the filter foam is high density which wouldn't let the air flow through.

• 3 weeks later...

So, got the foam and popped it in. Looks fine, but I can't actually understand the point of this 'thing'. It isn't covering an air intake as far as I can see, it is just filling the gap between the bonnet and the windscreen wiper area. So, what is the foam for?