3.9 RR EFi V8 Laid up for too long

Geminidawn

My engine was sat under a work bench for 7 years. I primed the oil system with a drill and she fired straight up.

It is possible that the fuel is from the cold start injector rather than the main injectors firing....This would point to the ECU not getting a spark signal from the coil. Have you bypassed the overrun relay? Check the white wire with a black stripe is connected to the coil -ve.

How old is the fuel?

I have a bike and a LR that have been sitting for a while, the petrol for both was very poor and would only just light and burn with a lot of smoke if poured on the ground and lit. After replacing the fuel the motor ran fine.

Marc.

Mine was always reluctant to start/run cleanly even after not running for only a couple of weeks, and then it got laid up for a couple of years so I didn't hold out much hope when I turned the key, but she fired and ran as smooth as a smooth thing :D The reason? Megajolt! My money is still on ignition problems ;)

Worth changing the fuel filters ? I left my Defender un-turned for 2 months over xmas, and the primary filter was gunged up with damp/moisture and carp when I came back to it... It's a wonder anything got through it at all, yet it was fine when last used before that.

Battery & Coil...... swap both and try again, after, as every-one has suggested, checking, double checking and tripple checking the dizzy isn't 180 about, and leads ARE all in the right places!

Reason I say change coil & battery; sounds like the battery is weak, and that exacerbated problem of balested coil.

3.9's have a balasted coil which is supposed to give a beefier spark when the battery voltage drops due to the current draw from the starter, but if the coil is breaking down and / or the battery weak, you dont get any spark at all......

At least IN the engine.....

Take the plugs out, and under atmospheric pressure, and with some load taken off teh starter, they give what seems like a good healthy spark....

Stick it back in the block, try again, pop, crackle, fart, and a little bit of promice but no life!

As said, bump starting you dont have the starter motor putting a drain on the battery, so the coil doesn't suffer the voltage drop, but you cant try that, as I couldn't as I have an auto!

You COULD try isolating the starter and running that off a seperate battery or jump leads from another car though......

How old is the fuel?

I have a bike and a LR that have been sitting for a while, the petrol for both was very poor and would only just light and burn with a lot of smoke if poured on the ground and lit. After replacing the fuel the motor ran fine.

Marc.

No the fuel is fresh. All the old fuel dumped and the tank cleaned. New fuel filter too.

Battery & Coil...... swap both and try again, after, as every-one has suggested, checking, double checking and tripple checking the dizzy isn't 180 about, and leads ARE all in the right places!

Reason I say change coil & battery; sounds like the battery is weak, and that exacerbated problem of balested coil.

3.9's have a balasted coil which is supposed to give a beefier spark when the battery voltage drops due to the current draw from the starter, but if the coil is breaking down and / or the battery weak, you dont get any spark at all......

At least IN the engine.....

Take the plugs out, and under atmospheric pressure, and with some load taken off teh starter, they give what seems like a good healthy spark....

Stick it back in the block, try again, pop, crackle, fart, and a little bit of promice but no life!

As said, bump starting you dont have the starter motor putting a drain on the battery, so the coil doesn't suffer the voltage drop, but you cant try that, as I couldn't as I have an auto!

You COULD try isolating the starter and running that off a seperate battery or jump leads from another car though......

Thanks for your input, the coil was tested and more than one battery was tried, the batteries were healthy taken from running vehicles.

My engine was sat under a work bench for 7 years. I primed the oil system with a drill and she fired straight up.

It is possible that the fuel is from the cold start injector rather than the main injectors firing....This would point to the ECU not getting a spark signal from the coil. Have you bypassed the overrun relay? Check the white wire with a black stripe is connected to the coil -ve.

You might be onto something there, whatever it is I am sure the custom wiring job is not working as it should.