safari snorkel

pinny

as the topic says i fitted a safari snorkel 2 weeks ago today whilst driving in some heavy rain, i got home and changed the air filter to notice water in the air box not a lot prob a couple of tea spoons is this normal or am i missing something it has the standard safari top any views welcome ,chris.

Quite normal I think with a forward facing scoop snorkle. I always swivel it around in really heavy rain (or when off road to stop leaves etc).

thanks for that on our tracked machines etc theres a small rubber trap on the bottom of the airbox to let water/dirt etc out but oviously nothing on a 300tdi box,chris.

but oviously nothing on a 300tdi box

Er, actually there IS a little rubber valve on a 300 air box to let water out. A small amount of water in there is normal anyway though.

If you really want to seal this up - and there is no point in having a raised air filter if you dont seal EVERYTHING up 100% - then a great trick i used, was to get one of the rubber caps that cover the jacking points on a Defender bumper at the front, and shove this in the outlet hole on your air box.

It will be very tight, but a perfect fit. I just rubbed a little sealant on the inner face to make extra sure too.

HTH

Martin

See the post in the tech archive - you need to seal up quite a lot of places on a 300 airbox!

see http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78

nice one bm im looking to replace the square air box with a air box from a case 13ton excavator it looks a beter box having an internal and external filter like si said earlier my best bet is to turn the scoop around when driving in heavy rain have you had any probs with the square panel filter box taking in water on its seal,chris.

You need to seal em up well with plenty of RTV , I fitted one to my 200 defender and after it was parked for a month out in the rain it used to fill the air box up with water even with a bag over the top , Found it was coming over the wing into the base of the snorkel .

I did have a near miss one day when I started it , Nearly hydrauliced the thing .

So take plenty of RTV to it .

And remember that if it is pointing forward and you go too fast into a river etc the wave can go in and easily inhale enough to hydraulic the engine!

I had a couple of close calls like that that luckily my ITG filter saved by just blocking and not collapsing like a paper one does, the whole lower box was filled though :o:o

Moved it to point inward by the screen now!!! problem solved.

And as Jason says,

Go over it from start to finish and check everything like a maniac! you would be surprised how easily water can get in!!

Lara

nice one bm im looking to replace the square air box with a air box from a case 13ton excavator it looks a beter box having an internal and external filter like si said earlier my best bet is to turn the scoop around when driving in heavy rain have you had any probs with the square panel filter box taking in water on its seal,chris.

I've not really looked at the flat Discovery airbox with a view to waterproofing it but I imagine it will be as carp as a Defender one in terms of standard sealing :unsure:

I've not really looked at the flat Discovery airbox with a view to waterproofing it but I imagine it will be as carp as a Defender one in terms of standard sealing :unsure:

on the flat box the main place i can its going to leak is the lip where the top goes on theres only 4 spring clips maybe grease will sort it ive filled the bottom holes with sikaflex my main prob is water being taken in by the scoop but ive either got to turn it around or replace it with a cone one cheers for the reply,chris.