2.5 n/a 110 s.w.

Hi guys

we are going camping in angelsey in two weeks time and the site owner ownes an A reg 110 2.5 n/a and wants to fit a 200tdi engine can anyone tell me how the performance would be with a tdi fitted in a 110 and the bad points so i can tell him when i see him. we will be going there in my s11a swb fitted with a disco 200tdi fitted towing a trailer tent so i can show him and tell him what mine is like but series and 90 / 110s are different animals so would be great to here from someone who has done this conversion.

cheers graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

I agree with Western. Tdi means much more power (No more going up hills in 2nd!), more relaxed cruise, better fuel consumption, less noise...the list goes on. :lol:

However, having just done a conversion from N/A I'd say that it's a mite more involved than converting from the TD (as per Les' article). Still WELL worth the investment though.

I put a 200tdi in my old C reg 110 NA.

Really easy to fit but tell him to budget for doing something with the gear ratios as mine did 0-60 in a nanosecond but was then screaming. Eventually put a disco transfer box in it which was excellent.

thanks for the info my mate sometimes restores old tractors and goes to collect them when he buys them with the 110 and trailer so should be a lot betted for climbing hills then.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

What 200tdi engine is he thinking of fitting? A Discovery version or a Defender version. The discovery version has a problem with the exhaust downpipe being close to the bulkhead when fitted to a 90/110. Not a huge problem, just requires abit of thinking about. (Did you check out Les' writeup?)

I concur with the transferbox issue. I would have thought a 2.5NA engine would have a 1.667 transferbox behind it. Most tdi defenders would have a 1.4. Discoverys have a 1.2. I personally am going for a 1.4 for better general all round use. I would suspect the 1.2 would be better on the motorway.

Maybe a brake upgrade wouldnt go amiss. Probably a braided brake hose upgrade? He probably has drum brakes on the rear. A nice disc brake rear axle would be a good upgrade.

Definitely worth the trouble.

Cheers.

think the td engine was not realy that strong enough to take a turbo peops tended to cain **** out of them and after a wile they just blew them selves up or if you where lucky the engine would emerage oil all over its self think the td/tdi is the way to go.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.