Autobox - 1st gear change and valve block

JST

right, am about to drop the oil and change the filter (again) to try and over come the current issue of it sticking in 1st gear when cold until it has had a fair bit of beans 3500rpm (diesel).

After the 1st change its fine and changes up and down as expected.

have checked Daves' site which tells me:

I have a 4 speed ZF Auto and it sticks in first gear in the morning or when cold and is reluctant to change up from 1st gear. Once the gearbox has warmed up it shifts normally. Why?

The governor valve is sticking, which can be caused by contamination. i.e. clutch plates or other parts disintegrating. The fine debris finds its way past the filter and tends to accumulate in the governor, causing it to stick. A temporary solution is to remove and clean the governor. The problem will often recur as debris from damaged parts continues to build up in the governor. If the problem continues after cleaning the governor then it may be necessary it replace your Autobox.

i believe you can get to the governor valve blcok with the filter off. Question is where is it? what does it look like? is it a DIY remove/clean up/refit job?

right, am about to drop the oil and change the filter (again) to try and over come the current issue of it sticking in 1st gear when cold until it has had a fair bit of beans 3500rpm (diesel).

After the 1st change its fine and changes up and down as expected.

have checked Daves' site which tells me:

I have a 4 speed ZF Auto and it sticks in first gear in the morning or when cold and is reluctant to change up from 1st gear. Once the gearbox has warmed up it shifts normally. Why?

The governor valve is sticking, which can be caused by contamination. i.e. clutch plates or other parts disintegrating. The fine debris finds its way past the filter and tends to accumulate in the governor, causing it to stick. A temporary solution is to remove and clean the governor. The problem will often recur as debris from damaged parts continues to build up in the governor. If the problem continues after cleaning the governor then it may be necessary it replace your Autobox.

i believe you can get to the governor valve blcok with the filter off. Question is where is it? what does it look like? is it a DIY remove/clean up/refit job?

Hi James,

transfer case off,

rear housing off,

then you will see the govenor housing with a weight on each end, strip and clean, (carefully)

then you will see the govenor housing with a weight on each end, strip and clean, (carefully)

I'll second that. You have to be very clean. Make sure you have a clean area before you start. Don't be afraid to use dozens of gloves to makes sure your hands are clean too.

This happens quite often after an oil change as I read on the Duch Forums,

It wil go away after a while and we think it has got something to do with tiny

air bubbles in the valvesystem of the autobox.

To speed things up you can just flog it hard with a warm engine and rev it up as far as you dare.

but you've done that as I read,....

99.9% will start to work proper again after a bit of time, so you might give it time before you open up the box.

grtn

RoLandRover