Rear disc brakes

greenstream

Hi

I'm preparing to change the brakes on my light weight to disc. Have read some of the write-ups here about the front, no questions here.

As for the rearaxle then the info that I have discovered sint specifik enough.

Calipermounting from 110" - Check

Caliper - not quite sure, but can be checked easyli.

Disc - as above.

Hub - which hub do you use ? It has to fit the series stubaxle and have the mountingsurface for the disc.

It could be machined, but from the pictures I've seen, then it looks like a std. item ?

Can anyone help me on this one ?

Cheers

Morten, aka The Crash Test Dummi

Hi

I'm preparing to change the brakes on my light weight to disc. Have read some of the write-ups here about the front, no questions here.

As for the rearaxle then the info that I have discovered sint specifik enough.

Calipermounting from 110" - Check

Caliper - not quite sure, but can be checked easyli.

Disc - as above.

Hub - which hub do you use ? It has to fit the series stubaxle and have the mountingsurface for the disc.

It could be machined, but from the pictures I've seen, then it looks like a std. item ?

Can anyone help me on this one ?

Cheers

Morten, aka The Crash Test Dummi

Hi, I am still collecting parts so i still have not assembled everything together. So you need 110 caliper brackets, late stub axles (bearings same size), a pair of front hubs from a early 90/110 (well thats what i am going to use), Discs, i do not know yet but 110's use the same front and rear i belive. 90's use a different disc and so do late 110's. Calipers i do not have yet but any set will do i think, i am going for rr, disco or 90's, 110 ones are different (bigger pads i belive) Mine will be going onto a salisbury axle, so i do not know if the same proceedures/parts are applicable.

Disc choice will be determined once the brackets, calipers and hub are on, from there i will see what distance is available, what rover disc i can buy to fit, the rest will have to be solved by spacers at the brackets to aline the caliper to the disc.

G

TRawl back through previous posts either on here or on addicts as I've posted on here several times exactly how to do this using what parts. Its more or less a bolt on swap.

In short you want RR rear disks and hubs and RR rear calipers.

With this set up i had to thin down the caliper bracket by about 1.5mm iirc by flycutting it to centre the calipers on the disks.

Dont use front calipers for two reasons:-

1. you brake balance will be all wrong

2. the bolt holes wont line up with the caliper brackets as they're spaced differently.

Jon

Found it

Re: Disced braked series

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004, 02:05:34 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right - rears are bolted onto mine now!

Done entirely with landrover parts!

I used a drum braked 90 rear stub axle. This will bolt onto the series axle casing, but you need to drill out the holes in the axle casing to 10mm. Then bolted on the caliper carrier brackets from a 110 disk braked salisbury rear axle. These need reducing in thickness by 3mm to fit, and then it all bolts up. I then used post 86 rangie rear hubs and disks, but converted them back to oil type. I used pre 86 rangie rear calipers (casue its what I scrounged off my mate for nowt) and drilled the mounting holes out to 12mm, and bolted em up using the landrover caliper mount bolts that fit the 110 brackets. Re plumb the lines and the brakes are done.

Half shaft wise you need to use late 24spline shafts (I'm running uprated 24 spline KAm ones cause of the ARB) and drive flanges are the 24 spline "thick type" beleive they're from a rangie but again i scrounged em so dont know exactly! It all bolts up and jobs done!

Hardest bit is machining down the mount plates - drilling out a few bolt holes is no problem (you are at most drilling em out 0.5mm or so - simply the difference between the old imperial bolts and the metric ones)

Fronts are more of a pain in the arse! As mark says, non lr disks, but the difference is I'm running Wilwood calipers as it'll then all fit within standard wheel rims so you dont have the clearance probs.

All seems to work well!

Cheers

Jon

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replys.

I have allready used the searchbutton as I knew that Jon hat done a writeup, but I couldnt find it <_< .

Gremlin - I have a got a lot of info from your writeup about the frontbrakes.

I have been looking around and found several discs with different offsets and the same diameter, have to investigate a little more on this one.

If you can use a Defender stub at the rear, then what stops up front ! I have probaply had to few land rover parts in my hands to give the perhaps obvius answer, myself.

Cheers

Morten

You mean front coiler hubs for the front conversion?? the answer is simple, the coiler hubs will fit and the disc will also fit, but it will leave no room to make a bracket to mount the caliper to. The coiler hubs position the disc deeper onto the housing.

G

Thanks Gremlin

Im still a little confused about the stubs, as I've discovered that these have many different partsnumbers and therefore I thought that they where different in sizes :( Well ill find some second hand to play with.

M

You mean front coiler hubs for the front conversion?? the answer is simple, the coiler hubs will fit and the disc will also fit, but it will leave no room to make a bracket to mount the caliper to. The coiler hubs position the disc deeper onto the housing.

G

Right - rears are bolted onto mine now!

Done entirely with landrover parts!

Since there seems to be a lot of expertise on this I would like to ask the same question with a twist.

Parameters:

US Based Series II Dormobile that:

1. Already has a GM based disc brake conversion up front
  2. Has a Series III Salisbury in the rear with hardened axles and ARB

Goal: replace the rear drums for rear disc brakes using consumable parts (rotors, calipers, pad sort of stuff) from Rovers sold for sale in the US.

This means 1994 through 1998 V8 Defender, 1994 and newer Discovery and 1989 and newer Range Rover. Discovery I and early to mid '90's range Rovers can be found in wrecking yards (with a lot of hunting) as a source of used parts.

Question: Given the Series III Salisbury set up I have, is there a rear disc brake conversion I can make using all Land Rover parts available to me in the States? I want to be able to go to my local auto parts store and order replacement parts as needed.

Thanks

Bearing in mind there was a factory disk braked 110 with a salisbury rear axle its all easily interchangeable.

Now I'm a tad confused, a normal state for me.

It is my current understanding that Land Rover fitted the D110 with a Salisbury and rear drum brakes through 1993 then for 1994 went to a Rover diff and rear disc brakes. Its my current understanding that the factory never fitted discs to Salisburys. Am I wrong?

The US spec 1993 D110's came with rear drum brakes.

Also parts can be hard to find here and quite expensive so a trial end error approach to seeing what fits could easily go well over $1000 for a pile of parts that may not fit.

Thanks for your encouragement so far.