Milemarker SE9500C

Hi,

I have just purchased a MM SE 9500C winch, brand new, to install in my Defender 110.

Due to the lack of available space in the bumper (already prepared to receive a winch) and because I want to move up (away from water) the solenoid box, I am planning on installing the solenoid box somewhere in the engine bay area, probably close to the cabin but inside the engine bay.

I have realised I will have to extend many of the cables and wires that connect between the solenoid box and the winch itself.

My questions are:

a) is there any special precaution I need to take while doing this?

b) Is there a maximum distance to seprate the solenoid box from the winch or as long as I exetend the cables everything will be OK?

I have used a few winches in other vehicles before but I have never installed it mself, it was always there to start with.

Any tips will be useful.

By the way, the winch looks good quality, let's see how it works. I have read it is good quality but slow.

Thanks in advance

Regards

SG

Most of the comments on Milemarkers relate to the hydraulic winches, which is what I have, the electric ones are a new one on me, I don't think they are sold in the UK so it will be interesting to see what your impressions are - post up some photos too :)

I wouldn't extend the wires, I would replace them.

You should only have three wires to extend between the solenoid pack and the winch - F1, F2 and A.

Make sure you make good connections when you fit the crimps to the ends of the cable. resistance will cause heat and cost you winch performance.

Hello Bogmonster,

You always reply fast. I suspected these MM were not sod in the UK but at the end of the day it is just another planetary winch, I suspect most of them are pretty similar. I will take a few pictures and post them later. I understand the MM 9500 I bought is similar in price (and perhaps quality?) to the T-Max 9500 Aussy winch sold in the UK.

LandymanLuke,

Thanks for the advice on the cables, this is the kind of data/suggestions I was looking for.

I have just presented the winch and realised it will not fit with the existing bolt holes I had in the bumper (carp!) and I will have to move it to the side 2 or 3 cms ( the winch is longer than I thought on the electric motor side) so the drum willl not be located exactly at the middle of my Defender but rather slightly to one side. Could this have negative consequences or is it just a matter of look/appearence? I mean having the drum and the cable not comming out exactly from the centre of the vehicle?

Cheers,

Santiago

Hello Geo,

I understood Ramsey's and Warn wicnhes (not Tabor) are assembled in the US. Not sure about where the parts are actually built.

Do you have a winch installed? If so, which brand?

Cheers,

Santiago

Hi Geo.

That is probably true. Not yet a winch, these days Im setting up a rear ARB diff, +2" Ome springs and Rancho shoxs, double front cardon, plus other bits.

Winch choices are: Warn, Ramsey, Ironman, T-max, Tabor and Prowinch.

The first four cost about US$1500 the piece!

On this side of the Andes a Warn 9500 costs 2KU$! Bloody expensive.

That's why I decided to go for the MM 9500, it costs 1KU$ here, approximately double than in the States (500U$ over there).

I just hope the MM9500 is not a crappy winch, I know it is not the best but I hope it is at least decent.

I used to own a Warn 9000i, and it broke down the third time I used it (I bought it used) so I lost confidence in the Warns that use planetaries.

Several years ago I used to have a Warn 8274 and that was A WINCH, spectacular. I just don´t want to change the bumper and go through all the complications of installing the huge 8274 so I decided to go the easy and relatively cheap way.

As far as I know, all electric winches are assembled in China. Even the Tabor Warn version. Other Warn have Barsil made electrics. Am I right?

T Max are made in China. "Designed and tested in Australia"

Tabor/Warn use exactly the same electrics (mostly made in Mexico) 90% of the componants are identical to the XD9000 - less powerful motor in Tabor though. My understanding was that they are made in USA, same factory as "Warn" branded units. Why pollute your premium brand to compete with cheaper units.

Cheers

Have had a Tabor/Magnum for a number of years and it was made in the USA - is stamped on the internals. They are an old design warn from the same factory as the Warn branded winches.

magnum/Tabor have a 4.3hp motor as against a 4.6 hp (which I think is now 6hp).

Why pollute your premium brand to compete with cheapies. Unless something has changed.

The electrics for Warn and tabor are identical and come from various places, Mexico being one of them.

T-Max are Chinese made. "Designed and tested" in Australia.

Cheers