200tdi starting problems

So I mustered up the enthusiasm to check and change all the glow plugs on my 200 after problematic starting, all were showing good voltage on the wiring, and all new ones are glowing as they should.

BUT, it still doesnt want to start, even if I wait for the glow plug light to go out, and then try to start if Im lucky it will fire and die, then if I turn it over it will evenutally start (excuse petrol head here - but it sounds like its firing on 4 cylinders for a couple of seconds then goes to all four). If I turn it off immeidately and try to restart - its fine - straight away.

Acceleration and driving is fine.

If I leave it a couple of hours - same problem.

I have adjusted tappets, but also found that a banjo bolt was missing on one of the fuel return, but have now put a new one of those on - with washers - but no improvement.

I am wondering if its fuel or compression.

Any ideas appreciated !

Do a compression test, but it sounds like fuel to me. I had a similar problem when I got air in my fuel pump. I fixed it by bleeding the whole system through step by step. I'd consider checking the condition of the fuel line components to make sure they are delivering fuel as they should.

I'd go for the lift pump valves being faulty. Clamp the fuel supply pipe on the tank side of the lift pump and then leave it overnight. In the morning take the clamp off and try to start the engine. If it works ok, then you have probably found the problem. I'm not sure if you can replace the valves or not though.

Les. :)

Great tips guys - I decided to play around with the pump, but before dismantling decided to check the wiring on the plug (presumably the stop solenoid) it appears it had a bad connection. I have cleaned it up and hey presto! :D

Cheers

I had some problems with my stop solenoid not working properly (that's how I got air in my system). It might be worth replacing yours (£17 from a Bosch injection pump supplier place in Swindon) and putting a magnetised clean screw-driver down the hole it lives in to clean out any swarf that as built up over the years, sticking to the solenoid and preventing the plunger from moving easily. When I had problems with my engine not stopping / starting, that fixed it (been fine for the last 2 years since). Most annoying thing was making a spanner to get the thing out.

I had a very similar problem some years ago with a Series III with a N/A diesel which I had fitted from a Sherpa. It turned out that there was a slight air leak on the top of the CAV fuel distributor/pump which allowed air to bleed back into the system after being left for a few hours. I'm sure you have a similar problem.