Kick down cable

steve_d

Had problems at the weekend where the auto did not want to change up or down as it should.

Traced it to the kick-down cable where the inner lining of the cable has come out at the engine end and therefore restricts travel. This happened before so I made a plate that only the cable itself could pass through but somehow it has beaten that so I have to assume the cable is pretty gummed up inside for it to force the liner out.

Q1 How do you change the cable as it disappears into the box? My parts list shows it winding round a disc on a shaft so I assume I have to take off the sump plate to attach the new cable.

Q2 Do I have to do anything else other than adjust the cable at the engine end?

Q3 Best place to Buy? Have Googled the part number (RTC 4854) and found a mix of OE and Britpart prices but wondered if there was another route like a cable manufacturers rather than a LR part supplier.

Q4 If, as I suspect, the sump plate has to come off what else should I be doing while I'm in there and what parts will I need? What gaskets/seals need replacing...is there a filter....anything to adjust...etc.

The bits are all 87RRC which is the ZF 4 speed auto 'box.

Many thanks

Steve

Go steady on the valve block some of the bolts actually split the block which you definitly don't want to do, put you oldest clothes on because your going to have an ATF shower and make sure you keep everthing spotless.

It's an easy enough job to do just a ball ache and messy.

Good luck

Steve its not a bad job to do but a tad messy , But you have to be surgicaly clean when doing it , I did mine a few months ago , From memory , Sump off , pick up pipe off , filter off , Valve block off (only removing 13 m6 bolts and NO others) Be prepared for a few armfulls of more fluid when removing the valve body .

Changing the cable is then straight forward fitting it on the cam disc .

My advice would be to download a Rave manual before you start the job ,

I got a genuine cable from TOR 4x4 , Its a job you dont want to be doing twice in a while so a OE cable would be in favour over a Britpart one

Thanks guys

Sounds like I will at least need the sump gasket but should I also replace the filter and does the valve block have a gasket?

Rave has beaten me so far as I don't have any facility for burning a CD/DVD and not being overly PC savy I don't know how to do it within the PC.

Steve

I don't have any facility for burning a CD/DVD and not being overly PC savy I don't know how to do it within the PC.

Download 'Virtual Clone Drive' and install, double click on the RAVE ISO and it will open up as a new virtual CD drive... job done :)

Download 'Virtual Clone Drive' and install, double click on the RAVE ISO and it will open up as a new virtual CD drive... job done :)

I've found and downloaded 'Virtual Clone Drive' and installed it.

Where do I find RAVE ISO?

I have downloaded RAVE03 from Green Oval but cannot find an iso file anywhere in the various folders. I'm assuming iso is a file extension.

Steve

RAVE03 is a .iso file. If you right click the file and click on properties, the information there should confirm this. Your machine may not display the file extensions in a attempt to be more friendly/awkward.

The easy way...assuming Virtual CloneDrive associated itself with .iso files is to simply find RAVE03.iso and double click on it. If RAVE03.iso appears with an icon of a sheep then this should work. You can then open My Computer and VCD will manifest the iso as an extra CD/DVD drive - this is known as 'mounting' the iso.

If VCD didn't associate itself with .iso files then open My Computer, and you should see a CD/DVD ROM drive that wasn't there before. Right click on it and you will have an extra option "Virtual CloneDrive". (If you are unsure which CD/DVD ROM Drive, it will be the only one with this option). Open the sub menu and click Mount. A window will open - point it at RAVE03.iso and click OK. The CD/DVD ROM drive will then appear to have the RAVE03 cd inserted.

When VCD mounts the iso, windows may do the autorun thing from the CD as if a CD was inserted, so don't worry if an unexpected autorun window pops up.

Bit like pulling teeth this.

Right, found the drive and mounted RAVE03

A box opened saying something like there were a variety of file types and which program did I want to open it with.

If I cancel from that I'm left with a folder structure for RAVE03. there are one or two .exe files in there but all they do is open a one page pdf of a RAVE splash screen (waterfall).

How do I boot RAVE?

Steve

Figured I probably ought to have a copy so downloaded it anyway.

I clicked on rave.exe, adobe opens showing the rave splash screen. A click on the page takes you to the index - then clicking on the vehicle you want takes you to the relevant manual.

James.

Right, just given myself a good slapping on your behalf.

When I had that screen up I just looked below and saw it was only one page so came back out.

Many thanks for your perseverance.

Steve