veering to the right

highlander1971

i have a J reg 3.9 v8 vogue efi that i am having some serious problems with, when accelerating there are no problems but the minute i release pressure on the accelerator the car will veer to the right quite violently. i am now having to steer slightly to the left with every gear change or release of pressure on the accelerator to compensate for this which means the minute i put the gas down i then veer to the left. it has a sensation of driving on ice. any help will be very gratefully received.

Something on your suspension / steering is moving, you should find and rectify if before driving it at speed if it's having this effect.

It might be the rubber bushing in your suspension front or rear and it could be serious wear in the steering swivel bushes etc, it must be like driving a canal boat in the North Sea

Give the R/R a wiggle from the front and back you might hear the problem, try moving the road wheels forward and back, check for unusual tyre wear etc.

Check the Panhard rod bushes etc.

It might be a sticking brake on the right side, if it is the wheel it could be very hot to touch after a run, either way this one needs to be sorted before going very far.

Something on your suspension / steering is moving, you should find and rectify if before driving it at speed if it's having this effect.

It might be the rubber bushing in your suspension front or rear and it could be serious wear in the steering swivel bushes etc, it must be like driving a canal boat in the North Sea

Give the R/R a wiggle from the front and back you might hear the problem, try moving the road wheels forward and back, check for unusual tyre wear etc.

Check the Panhard rod bushes etc.

It might be a sticking brake on the right side, if it is the wheel it could be very hot to touch after a run, either way this one needs to be sorted before going very far.

Thanks for everyones help, it has proven to be the Panhard Rod Bushes which were only fitted in February. if i can find the make of them i shall post it here as a make to avoid ! once again thank you everyone

Had the same problem on my classic, fitted several before they would last, I wonder about polybush or is this a clue about the condition od other bushing? I changed every bit of rubber on my front axle and have had no trouble so far.

Anyone

The quality of polyurethane bushes seems to vary quite a bit - I had Polybushes on mine (as in the trade name) and there was no sign of deterioration after around 50k when I sold it. Some of the cheaper brands have been known to fail very quickly (and/or be very hard and give a harsh ride). Anecdotally polyurethane bushes don't seem to survive as well under extreme articulation (e.g. on a challenge truck), though it's hard to say whether a standard rubber bush would have done any better, especially on a vehicle modified to allow more movement than the manufacture designed the joint for.