D1 Headlights

baldy

This topic has probably been done before but I cannot find it with the search.....

We have a 1997 300tdi and want to convert the headlights to early TD5 spec

Now I have been told by " a mate" that all I need is the headlights and they are a straight swop !

Is this correct or do I have to do some surgery to the housings

Thanks in anticipation

Baldy

This topic has probably been done before but I cannot find it with the search.....

Now I have been told by " a mate" that all I need is the headlights and they are a straight swop !

Thanks in anticipation

Baldy

Straight swop.

Worth buying brighter bulbs as well while you're at it.

Thanks in anticipation

Baldy

There's no advantage to early Disco II lights, they are almost identical except they have a black surround instead of a silver one! Later Disco II lamps are not quite so straightforward.

H

They are identical except they have a black surround.

The back of the surround is silver and the theory is that any stray light from the rim of the lamp is reflected back so increasing the light ouput, some say that is does and the light output is improved.

I just fitted the 50% Xeon bulbs they are brilliant so bright my lamp guards throw shadows on the road.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h4-bulbs-c-255.html

I fitted HID's about a month ago and while the legality in the UK and Europe is questionable I wouldnt go back to not having them. I don't see a problem with fitting them as long as they do not cause a problem for other road users.

I have HID's in my MGF and thats passed 3 MOT's with them fitted and I've never had any problems with police or other drivers so far, I've even had a couple of police pull me over to have a look at them when they wer first fitted.