Receiver Hitch Winch Mount

mpb

Im thinking of building myself a 2" receiver hitch winch mount for my defender like this one

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1951c2...ssis-mount.html

I was going to mount a 9000lb winch to it.

What gauge steel do you think would be best to use.

Would you add anymore stiffeners into the design. I was thinking of some 6mm steel plates added where the two tubes meet incase there's any sideways pull.

Cheers

Definately worth adding gussets, but make sure they line up with the top and bottom faces of the box, not from the middle of a face. Make the gussets go all the way to the end too. If you can, I would cut the gussets out of a piece of box section so the gusset is effectively a "C" section. Will remove mud traps that way too.

Without doing any maths, all I can say on the section thickness is the thicker the better! It is not as if you will be adding huge amounts of weight.

I wouldn't get to dizzy about what you can winch with a limited mount to the chassis or you could find yourself twisting things somewhat.

A good strong winch mount spreads quite a lot of the loading around, at the end of the day the chassis is normally only 3mm box section when new.

Thankyou for the advice :) . I like the idea of using box for the gussets.

I think ill have to do some careful measuring to see where I can fix it to the chassis to spread the load to the greatest extent.

Many thank once again.

Personally - i really dont like the look of that! 9000lbs on that front, the bolts in shear should be strong enough looking at the hole size, but i dont much care for the angles on the end, and no gussets??????

Thanks, but no thanks - Bumper mounts by far the strongest

That design is carp as it offers no strength in a side load and the square tube will twist if the pull is high or low and coming off the end of the drum.

If you are going your own route then can I suggest starting with a commercial winch tray then welding two square tubes to it which can then engage in mating tubes bolted to each of the chassis legs.

This will produce a far stronger mount which will take all the loads required.

Steve

• 5 months later...

MPB, Have you made one yet, or anybody else for that mattetr. I have just picked up a demountable warn, but dont want to pay £160 for a barcket! I could happliy design and made my own but no point reinventing the wheel. Thanks Jim

I haven't got any further with this. Have a look at this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=47862

Hope thats of some use