BFG KM2

draper40

Going on the recent price increases I should imagine most are probably waiting for their mortgage to be approved to be able to afford a set!

Sad to say after being a BFG diehard for many years I won't be getting them next time around as they are just stupidly expensive now.

I have been wondering the same.

I wanted to upgrade my worn 265/75x16 MTs (6 years and 40k miles old now) to 255/85x16s and it looks like I have missed the boat as far as getting the old KM design.

I spoke to a couple of people at Billing who had just bought KM2s on the back of them getting rave reviews from the states. My feeling is that a review from over there may not be that relevant for the kind of mud we are familiar with in the UK.

Supposedly they are quieter on the road, but I have to say that I don't find the KM that noisy. I would rather have good grip in the mud.

Just looking at the tread pattern I can't decide if they look as open as the KM, which could make a difference how well they self clean.

post-7124-125061232709_thumb.jpgpost-7124-12506122245_thumb.jpg

The old KM is such an established and trusted entity, it'll be a hard act to follow. I shall be waiting for a while to hear opinions of these newcomers, and trying to save up enough to buy a set if the reports are good; oh and waiting for the exchange rate to get sorted :hysterical::hysterical:

Meanwhile I'm wondering what the alternatives might be.... :unsure:

Good luck getting them, I have been trying to get a set for weeks. The price doesnt seem to be so bad. Around £110 to £120+vat for 255/85/16 and 285/75/16

If you are still wanting KM's then might be worth trying ATS, I ordered a set of 285/75/16 KM2's from them and after waiting 10 days got a set of old KM's much to my disgust and when I spoke to the guy in ATS they were still showing stock in most sizes.

Supply for all tyres seems to be a bit hit and miss at the moment, I am told Coopers are mostly on backorder too.

Ben

I have been wondering the same.

I wanted to upgrade my worn 265/75x16 MTs (6 years and 40k miles old now) to 255/85x16s and it looks like I have missed the boat as far as getting the old KM design.

I spoke to a couple of people at Billing who had just bought KM2s on the back of them getting rave reviews from the states. My feeling is that a review from over there may not be that relevant for the kind of mud we are familiar with in the UK.

Supposedly they are quieter on the road, but I have to say that I don't find the KM that noisy. I would rather have good grip in the mud.

Just looking at the tread pattern I can't decide if they look as open as the KM, which could make a difference how well they self clean.

post-7124-125061232709_thumb.jpgpost-7124-12506122245_thumb.jpg

The old KM is such an established and trusted entity, it'll be a hard act to follow. I shall be waiting for a while to hear opinions of these newcomers, and trying to save up enough to buy a set if the reports are good; oh and waiting for the exchange rate to get sorted :hysterical::hysterical:

Meanwhile I'm wondering what the alternatives might be.... :unsure:

We all have different conditions, but I never cease to be amused when people post in forums about how good the old BFG MT/KM1 tyres are. If they perform well for you, then good for you, or you are easily pleased, or you have very well behaved mud where you drive.

I have used the old KM1 and find them poor in the mud where I drive (sure there are worse tyres, but there are also better tyres for mud use). It does not take much to clog the tread of a KM1 in my experience and a bit of rain will stop them on many of the tracks I use.

BFG is owned by Michelin and I am lead to believe that Michelin do all of the design and development for BFG. The ancestry of the new KM2 is very long and proven - they are clearly descended from the Michelin XML (I have had a set of these for years and numerous military vehicles have been equipped with them for much longer) and the later BFG Krawler (I also have a set of these). Both the XML and Krawler perform much better than the old KM1. But the void between lugs does look to be smaller than that used in Krawlers (particularly in the smaller diameters) and I would not expect them to be as good as a Krawler.

With legislation changes taking place where I am, I may have to replace my Krawlers for a smaller diameter tyre. The KM2 will be on my shopping list when I need to get new tyres.