Diesel Particulate filter

tonyalbers

Hi,

I guess it is fitted as standard to a D2, or are you fitting an aftermarket unit. It is just part of the exhaust system. If you are fitting it as an aftermarket accessory I would be careful as the ECU may not have the different calibration maps for the regeneration cycle.

I don't know much about D2's so I would read up on it first.

Hope this helps.

Steve

From what i gather much in the same way as a petrol cat the engine mangement system needs to know the DPF is there, as it requires maintenance to burn off the carbon build up and

Most management systems dump excess fuel into the DPF in some way to do this, and without it the DPF would just stop working.

Its not really something you can retrofit easily i wouldnt think.

have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

Don't know about D2, i'm sure the grown ups will be along to say different but all DPF systems i have worked on have required diagnostic kit to be plugged in and a regeneration cycle started... which makes it sound like the car is going to blow up and die. This is done at specific service intervals or when the vehicle tells the driver with a warning light or message. Most vehicles can regenerate to a certain extent during normal drive cycles so it can be a while before it needs full regeneration. Hope that helps, probably useless but i'm having one of those days. :huh:

Tenneco make DPF/Cat units you could see if they make one model specific or one you could adapt.

http://www.tenneco.com/Aftermarket/EmissionControl/

There are active and passive filters. Active need regen, usually a fuel injector just upstream of the filter to add fuel when the exhaust stream is hot and the filter's full. These need an ECU etc. A passive filter is more easily retrofitted, just bolt it on. They're not tolerant to tuned engines though and expect to cut 5% off your MPG though.