Where can I find out more about having lpg on a Defender ?

Is it only a petrol option, or can Diesels have it too ?

How does it work - do you still have petrol if required or if wherever you are has no gas filling point ?

Where does the gas tank/bottle go - eg on a 90 - inside you would surely lose a lot of space. Underneath it would be prone to being bashed offroad !

How numerous/where do you get gas from ?

Any advantages tax and insurance wise apart from the gas price ?

Thanks

Gerry

LPG is usually only fitted as an alternative to Petrol. Saying this, diesels can have Propane injection for performance enhanceing stuff.

Some people run only on LPG, others have systems that start on petrol, and then switch over to LPG once the engine is warm.

LPG systems for petrol models are a fixed tank, either underneath or in the boot. For the Propane injection, there is i think a normal propane cylinder mounted.

Best bet for finding gas is a search on google, one of the sites i found has a google maps interactive thingy that has all the gas stations marked.

Not sure on the advantages, but i believe that LPG converted vehicles are not allowed on the channel tunnel.

Where can I find out more about having lpg on a Defender ?

Beside this forum are you SU or Solex or Weber Carbs or EFI type Have a look for local auto conversions near you and talk about the arangements needed.

Is it only a petrol option, or can Diesels have it too ?

Petrol is the main user due too the advantages gained.

How does it work - do you still have petrol if required or if wherever you are has no gas filling point ?

I have kept my original tank but only switch over to gas when running a longer journey

For filling station most lpg can be obtained by Morrisons petrol stations and independent retailers

Where does the gas tank/bottle go - eg on a 90 - inside you would surely lose a lot of space. Underneath it would be prone to being bashed

offroad !

I have mine on the inside taking away one of my bench seat. There a few using two torpedo cylinders underneath or replace the original petrol tank for a smaller to gain space.

How numerous/where do you get gas from ?

If you mean retailer as i mentioned above.

Any advantages tax and insurance wise apart from the gas price ?

None really depending on the age of vehicle for Tax not worth the hassle. For insurance most are happy as long as you have evidence of the conversion being approved and certified. but confirm with your current insurer first.

Thanks

Tip first when running a lpg system on carbs Warm engine till air vents feel warm. Normally 10 minutes. While driving on petrol flick the switch to the middle allowing the carbs to drain. This create a judder feel from engine due to lack of fuel. Next flick the switch to gas straight way before engine dies. you get use to the timing and feel. This is called an open system of lpg usage. Others are closed on the EFI models which use a exhaust sensor to determine switchover and are instant when switched to gas due to the injection system.

Mine is 110SW 3.5 Petrol/LPG 1988.

Gerry