new lift pump not working

hi the primer arm on my lift pump didnt work so i brought a new one when i fitted the new one that didnt work either. my landy is a 2.5td (19j)the first pump i brought from a shop and the bloke told me it was the same pump that was fitted to a 200tdi so when i brought this one i cheacked the part numbers on the paddocks web site and they are the same for the discovery 1 and defender 200tdi and 2.5td . as soon as i loosened the old pump it started pumping so am i doung something wrong or is there another pump and both shops are wrong?

• Like 1

Turn the crank 180-degrees and try again. If the foot of the pump is on the cam peak - the primer won't work.

If no difference - turn the crank a further 180-degrees and try again.

Les.

hi les what ya doing on here this time in the morning ? i have tryed it in all positions and still nothing but it workes when its off or loose

Compare old against new, with regard to the length of the foot. Is there a spacer you have to use if both pumps are identical, or not if the new one has a shorter leg?

Les.

the origenal has long gone but the second one is identicle to the new one do you know how i can find out whether there should be a spacer?

From the block to the pump it should be gasket, distance piece, gasket, lift pump.

No part number for the distance piece, just 'NSS' (not sold seperately?)

You haven't been given the wrong pump have you? 300TDi is ERR5057. 200TDi is ETC7869.

I'm not sure of differences between the two or if they're interchangeable or not.

Les.

From the block to the pump it should be gasket, distance piece, gasket, lift pump.

No part number for the distance piece, just 'NSS' (not sold seperately?)

You haven't been given the wrong pump have you? 300TDi is ERR5057. 200TDi is ETC7869.

I'm not sure of differences between the two or if they're interchangeable or not.

Les.

ther is a fitting that is atatched to the block witch the pump fitts to and the pump came with a new gasket this pump is identicle to the one o have just taken off but there was the same problem with that pump. do you have any other idiers? :unsure:

ther is a fitting that is atatched to the block witch the pump fitts to and the pump came with a new gasket this pump is identicle to the one o have just taken off but there was the same problem with that pump. do you have any other idiers? :unsure:

On N/A and TD engines there is a flat steel plate bolted to the side of the block, then a gasket, then a black plastic spacer, another gasket and then the pump. If the plastic spacer is missing, as Les sugested then the pump wont operate.

Incedently on 200tdi engines that use the same pump the fitting on the block is an ally casting incorporating a boss and does not use the spacer.

On N/A and TD engines there is a flat steel plate bolted to the side of the block, then a gasket, then a black plastic spacer, another gasket and then the pump. If the plastic spacer is missing, as Les sugested then the pump wont operate.

Incedently on 200tdi engines that use the same pump the fitting on the block is an ally casting incorporating a boss and does not use the spacer.

has anybody got any photos of the spacer or can you tell me how thick it is or were i can get one ?

hi i have found the spacer on fleabay with a pump it looks to be about 6mm thick but carnt be sure has anybody got any sugestions as i dont fancy buying yet another pump just for a spacer i was thinking some sort of dence rubber or plastic

The spacer is not listed seperatly. Are you absolutely sure you have the flat steel side plate on the block? The reason I ask is I just went and looked on a scrap TD lump I have, and it is fitted with the ally plate same as a tdi, with the boss that means no spacer is needed. Looks like the parts book is suspect. It is one of the last TDs though.

If you are sure you have the flat plate and no spacer then you could change it and do away with the need for the spacer.

You are welcome to the plate I have, BUT... I have no idea where you are as there's no location in your profile.

Out of interest is the only problem the primer lever not working? If you put the pump on, disconnect the outlet and crank it over, does it spurt fuel out?

The spacer is not listed seperatly. Are you absolutely sure you have the flat steel side plate on the block? The reason I ask is I just went and looked on a scrap TD lump I have, and it is fitted with the ally plate same as a tdi, with the boss that means no spacer is needed. Looks like the parts book is suspect. It is one of the last TDs though.

If you are sure you have the flat plate and no spacer then you could change it and do away with the need for the spacer.

You are welcome to the plate I have, BUT... I have no idea where you are as there's no location in your profile.

Out of interest is the only problem the primer lever not working? If you put the pump on, disconnect the outlet and crank it over, does it spurt fuel out?

there is an aluminium casting on the block and my td is one of the last ones its a 1990. the pump operates when you slacken off the bolts but when they are tite the pump doesnt work and neather did the old one. you can hear a ticking when the engine is running so the arm is defenetly longer than it should be. P.S i am in redditch near birmingham were are you?

there is an aluminium casting on the block and my td is one of the last ones its a 1990. the pump operates when you slacken off the bolts but when they are tite the pump doesnt work and neather did the old one. you can hear a ticking when the engine is running so the arm is defenetly longer than it should be. P.S i am in redditch near birmingham were are you?

FWIW, all my parts books (1987 and 1995) show the spacer block for the 2.5D and 2.5TD engine. I've also checked the "recycle bin" in the shed but I don't have one. There are NSS (not supplied seperately).

I'm about a 100 miles south of you. Anway, if you have the ally side plate then if you have the correct pump you shouldn't need the spacer. My 200 tdi doesn't have one and neither does the scrap TD I have.

Let's start again. Prior to lifting the bonnet what was the problem? Again, does the lift pump work if you take off the outlet and crank the engine?

I'm about a 100 miles south of you. Anway, if you have the ally side plate then if you have the correct pump you shouldn't need the spacer. My 200 tdi doesn't have one and neither does the scrap TD I have.

Let's start again. Prior to lifting the bonnet what was the problem? Again, does the lift pump work if you take off the outlet and crank the engine?

no it dousnt work but it works when you loosen the nuts about 5 or 6mm the same as the old one which also works when you loosen it of. i have brought yet another one this time whith the packer i will fitt it the weekend and let you know.