90 cooling fan

hello again all

im having some issues with my cooling fan i have fitted a 300 tdi in my 90 and fitted an electric fan in place of the viscous one,and glad that id read on here about fitting mondeo ones as iv fitted 3 in the last 2 months now i know they are from scrappys but that dont stop them filling up with mud and jamming up.

have thought about returning it to a standard viscous fan and have been and got one but its off a 200 tdi and i dont think it will fit but it was all they had there.

can it be addapted?

can i just buy a viscous unit for a 300 and fit the blades off the 200 fan?

or am i mistaken in saying it wont fit?

of how do you guys keep your electric fans going?

any ideas how it can done as id really like to keep the electric one!!!!

would a proper kenlow or simalar fan be better?

any ideas welcomed

thanks in advance

Mondeo fans are normally very reliable, by filling with mud do you mean inside the motor? If this is happening I would make sure it is well sealed (or perhaps well drained).

Kenlowe's are not the answer, even at their best they won't be as good as an old mondeo one.

Has the fan actually needed to switch on? It's not been very hot recently.

Mondeo fans are normally very reliable, by filling with mud do you mean inside the motor? If this is happening I would make sure it is well sealed (or perhaps well drained).

Kenlowe's are not the answer, even at their best they won't be as good as an old mondeo one.

Has the fan actually needed to switch on? It's not been very hot recently.

yea the motor on the fans i have fitted have jammed solid and can only get them to move by takeing them off and kinda beating them till all the mud and crud falls out,then a spray with some wd40 just to lube it all and away it goes for a bit till the last one nearly caught fire well lots of smoke from the motor anyway,

and yea my 300 tdi lump has always run hot after a long run well not even a long one really about 5 miles and its hot ie over half way up the guage, dont know the history of the lump but i have read somewhere that this could be due to the pump being tampered with.

I have a mondeo fan fitted and it's been pretty robust, certainly hasn't caused me any problems in the last 3 or 4 years its been fitted.

If you're getting enough mud in the fan to kill it, what state is your radiator in? If it's anything like the fan then it won't be cooling the engine much at all.

I'm sure i read recently about the need to give radiators a damn good clean after going through deep mud as it fills the gaps between the fins so they can't cool properly.

if you're killing fans regularly i'd be taking the radiator off, giving it a good (but careful) jetwash, flushing it out and renewing all the coolant.

cooling fans are only usually needed on a diesel if it's really hot, i rarely hear mine kick in.

Also... after wading flick your switch so the fan runs  for a few minutes whilst the mud is still wet, this should shift it all out and stoop it siezing.

You do have a 'permanently on' switch on the dash, I guess? Very handy to have if not, as well as 'permanently off' for when about to enter water ;)

yea i only have a manual on off switch on the dash am gonna pick up an x fan switch thing at the lro show at peterborough and i have taken my rad and intercooler out today and they are full of mud gonna give them a clean and then see what happens to the temp on a run. but it has always run hot even before i have used it off road with that engine in it. oh well ill see what happens.

and maybe ill try another fan before i change it back to a viscous one! :)