3.5 efi and auto box into a 2.5td defender??

CURLY

i did a search for this and the closest i found was the defender diesel to v8 post, but it didn't really answer my question!

i have a 3.5 efi range rover with an auto box and lpg, and a defender with a pretty knackered and smokey 2.5 td.

i was wondering how much of a job it would be to take out the old 2. td and box, and replace it with the engine and box etc from the rangie?

any how to's or 'i tried that and it wasn't worth it' would be much appreciated!

CURLY

This is all rough guesswork based on putting a EFI/auto into a 90 that had been changed from a na diesel at some point in it's life

I think it's quite a lot of work but it is worth it.

Jobs you'll need to do

move engine mounts

new rad

mount autobox cooler

mount ecu

new gearbox tunnel

Fuel pump change ?

It will take twice as much time and/or money than you expect :-)

Hello,

I have a 1985 110 CSW that was a 2.5NA that is now a 3.5 V8 LPG Auto. I bought it converted, but I can probably put you in touch with the previous owner who did the conversion. From memory, there are new engine mounts and a new rear propshaft (this one has been lengthened) but I have just bought a more recent gerbox and transfer box that should allow me to use a standard propshaft.

The RR radiaor was used, but there is no of the shelf oil cooler (this is an item I need to fit as I plan to tow with it). The power steering pump is in a different place and you will need new pipes (mine were bespoke). The tunnel has be be adapted to suit the auto box lever.

Apart from that (and ignoring the LPG conversion) I can't think of much else.

If it helps I can take pictures of particular items.

Cheers

Peter

I would say a V8 auto is definitely worth it, although I should think a 200Tdi would be easier to fit.

If you have the RRC to rob parts off as required your job will be a lot easier.

I would leave position the transfer box where it is and mount everything forward of that. You can then keep your existing prop shafts.

Cut engine mounts off the RRC and weld onto the LR chassis once the engine is 'hanging' in the right place and bolted to the transfer box. The V8 will be much further forward than the original engine but there's still plenty of room for an engine driven fan.

If you 3.5 has an engine oil cooler, a 2.5 TD rad should do the trick OK. As for tranny oil cooler, the RRC bog brush item fit's nicely between the LR rad panel. Keep the metal oil pipes to the front of the engine and make up some flexible hoses to the bog brush.

As mentioned above you will need a larger transmission tunnnel. A 300Tdi/Td5 one will be fine, you can either fit a matching seat box, or cut and adapt the flange on yours to match up to it.

You will need a combination of RRC, Disco and LR bits to get the transfer lever to come through the tunnel in the correct place.

The engine loom should just reach if you mount the ECU on the bulkhead behind the seats.

The fuel pump can be taken from the RRC, the sealing flange should be the same as the LR tank but you'll need to extend the pickup pipe. I spotted a thread on here about doing this recently.

Err, what else?

LPG and V8s work well as long as the ignition system is in top order. As your engine has the 'flapper' type injection, make sure you have an air flap protecting device fitted; otherwise one back fire and you'll be looking for a new flap valve :(

Hope you feel encouraged by all this, I think it's a most excellent plan :D