On The Stops

geoffbeaumont

A couple of times recently the P38 has failed to lift it's suspension immediately on driving off after being at access height, but sorted itself out after a few minutes - this aside the P38 EAS seems much less inclined to quirky behaviour than the classic version, so I figured something needed attention. Sunday it did two short trips without lifting. By this time I'm suspecting that I've probably got a tired pump - 115k, so getting towards the time they typically fail (annecdotally, seems like they're on borrowed time from 120k). If not that, then a leak somewhere. Unlike the classic you can't tell when the pump's running while driving, though, as it's under the bonnet next to a noisy engine.

Needless to say, it wasn't going to wait for me to trace the fault :rolleyes: This morning it failed to lift again and a few miles down the M5 the EAS light came on along with EAS FAULT: MAX 35MPH on the message centre.

Ah well, that'll teach me to lower it so the wife can get in and out! :lol:

The controller is behaving exactly as it should - the pump ran for too long without reaching pressure so it went into fault mode.

Problem is either:

1. Pinhole in air line from compressor to tank (apparently commonly caused by blowing exhaust - plastic pipe too near the exhaust)
  2. Worn seals in the compressor
  3. 1 leading to 2 due to the compressor overheating

Neither problem is hard or particularly expensive to fix.

Start with a compressor overhaul, kits are available from

P38spares or Rover Renovations in the US.

You should be able to hear if the pump is working or not,

it will sound quite 'light' if it isn't pumping, ie piston isn't meeting resistance.