wierd brake behaviour D2

Jimbo-TD5

Hi all, I noticed yesterday that my brakes seem a bit funny (it was the first time ive driven the car) that when i applied the brakes for the first time there was plenty of travel in the pedal (about normal travel) , but the second time it would be harder. I thought this could be like a slight loss of pressure or something along those lines, but last nite i started the car on my drive and put my foot on the brake and it made a grinding noise like the ABS kicking in?? the car seems to stop fine, but what could be the cause??

thanks!

when i applied the brakes for the first time there was plenty of travel in the pedal (about normal travel) , but the second time it would be harder.

Mine's the same. And also pulls sharply to the left under braking.

It's getting checked out this week, will get the mechanic to bleed the whole system and will keep you posted.

Try starting the car without your foot on the brake... It should make the same noise. If it does, all is OK.

Your pedal travel pattern sounds the same as mine, too, so that's OK.

LR had mine back twice when I first bought it. They were searching for a funny noise from the brakes. As I picked up the truck after the second visit, they asked when the noise occurred. I told them it was when I started the car and that it was the same whether I had my foot on the pedal or not, and they told me it was normal...

HTH

Adrian

and yes please if you could keep me informed naks, it would be much appreciated!

Jimbo, the landy is back from the mechanic.

He found nothing wrong with the brakes themselves. He did bleed the entire system and put in new brake fluid. He thinks it might actually be the brake line - being made of rubber, it can sometimes develop 'bubbles' inside which would restrict the flow of brake fluid.

However he wants me to check the wheel alignment first, which I will do this afternoon. If that checks out ok, then the brake line on the front right will have to be changed.

ok thanks for letting me know!!

Both phenomena are in the "they all do that sir" category. Mine certainly does both and has since I've owned it.

The noise on startup is the ABS testing itself. There's lots of chat on the Discovery Owners' Club Forum (and others - probably on here, in fact) about it.

There's less chat about the "firmer pedal on second press" but I've seen enough on the Discoweb forum (http://www.discoweb.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4) to reassure me that it is common and not worth worrying about. I believe LandRover sorted it at some point, maybe when the Discovery2 was facelifted?

However he wants me to check the wheel alignment first, which I will do this afternoon. If that checks out ok, then the brake line on the front right will have to be changed.

Ok, front wheel alignment was out by 5mm. So this played a part in the left pull, but still does not get rid of the braking issue.

So it's probably the brake line on the front right wheel that is somewhat clogged, resulting in less brake pressure to that wheel.