TD5 fuel gauge

The fuel gauge on my TD5 stopped working. It was fine on a trip out but reads zero when I restarted on the return home. The Fuel warning light is also permanantly on. I read that the sender is a common unit with the fuel pump (expensive) and can only be replaced by removing the tank (pain in the neck?).

Is this s common problem? Is the sender suspect? Is there a fix that won't cost me an arm and a leg and leave me dripping Diesel all over the road?

Cheers for any help.

The fuel gauge on my TD5 stopped working. It was fine on a trip out but reads zero when I restarted on the return home. The Fuel warning light is also permanantly on. I read that the sender is a common unit with the fuel pump (expensive) and can only be replaced by removing the tank (pain in the neck?).

Is this s common problem? Is the sender suspect? Is there a fix that won't cost me an arm and a leg and leave me dripping Diesel all over the road?

Cheers for any help.

Yes it is a single unit with the pump. Yes it is expensive. yes it is a pain in the neck

not a common problem (usually fuel pump that fails!!)

may be just a wire off or something though...

I read that the sender is a common unit with the fuel pump (expensive) and can only be replaced by removing the tank (pain in the neck?).

Answering the above question reagrds the sender/fuel pump unit, yes, they are expensive £220ish give or take a tenner, You do have to take the tank out and the 'fuel pump' part is a common fault of packing up. Symptoms are gradual loss of power over a few miles, as the unit slowly dies then will blow a fuse as it gets hot and siezes! (My Disco did this 2 weeks ago - Same unit)

Regards your original problem, I dont know, sorry! But there are many electrical whizz's on here that will no doubt know which earth to clean up!

Good Luck!! :)

The Discovery Td5 one is a similar unit, but it is not the same as a Defender one and in fact I am not sure but I think there may be more than one Defender type.

IIRC the calibration on the fuel gauge is different to cope with different shaped tanks - so it will work (i.e. the engine will run OK) but the gauge will read a bit funny.