Adjustable Tow Bar Defender 90 TD5

wytco0

Hi I am toying with the idea of getting an adjustable tow bar for my 03MY TD5 90 so that i can use it to tow as well as for recovery etc.

I think that the official part number is LR007221 for the 90 (and LR007222 for the 110), but there is also Part number TC50255AA (TOW BAR KIT ADJUSTABLE TD5 DEF 90) and I dont know if that replaced LR007221 or the other way round or if ther are completely different !

I already have a fixed towbar on mine and I am wondering if either of the above will fit on my truck?

I cant find out what the difference is between them, but I am hoping that the plates are the same and that either will bolt onto my existing bars?

Does anyone know what I need to convert my fixed bar to an adjustable one?

Shown on LR's website is

for 90 from November 1999 LRO07221

for 110 [nothi-cap] from November 1999 LRO07222

all the bits to change from a fixed unit to the adjustable is in the kit.

Thanks Western, but i am wondering if I need the whole kit or if I can just put he adjustable bit on my existing mounting?

I have just found this on Ebay, I like the design as it has 2 pins but I dont know if it will fit on an TD5 90, anyone used one?

adjustable tow drop plate

Firstly it is STC50255AA for a 90 and there is an STC50256AA for a 110 and an STC50257AA for a 130.

I am pretty sure even the Puma vehicles have the same mounting points for towing equipment but the STC numbers will fit onto your vehicle anyway and IIRC they are the sliding adjustable height kit which is similar to the Ebay item but with all the brackets etc as well.

We would need to see what you have on there but basically the STC kits mentioned above have everything you need including all the stays, bolts and nuts etc - it is a complete kit so you would take off whatever you have on there. I think they also have a 50mm ball in but not 100% sure on that point. The kit fits onto the rear face of the crossmember, the three bolts into the bottom of the crossmember and two stays back to the chassis on either side which retain the bottom of the slider.

I would be a little wary of using one of the sliding drop plates for heavy recovery - if you do then make sure the slider is near the top.

Thanks Western, but i am wondering if I need the whole kit or if I can just put he adjustable bit on my existing mounting?

I have just found this on Ebay, I like the design as it has 2 pins but I dont know if it will fit on an TD5 90, anyone used one?

adjustable tow drop plate

I used the complete kit on my 110, the original drop plate was non LR & I wanted the adjustable kit.

your existing bits would get in the way of the adjustable kit, needs the same bolt holes for example.

What you get in the kit is everything you can see here except for the rover it's attached to

post-33-12534740208_thumb.jpg

i.e. the slider, the frame it slides on, the angle iron that bolts on the bottom of the x-member, the stay bars that come off the bottom of the frame and go up to the chassis, plus all nuts and bolts required to fit it to the vehicle.

You can see the various different Genuine towbars available here:-

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk/acatalog/DEF_Towing.html

In theory you could buy the cheap Ebay slider and attach it to the current hitch with some made up stay bars, but if yours needs a type approved tow hitch (which it will unless it is a commercial) you'd probably be screwed if anybody pulls you over towing with it. I don't know what the penalty is but I bet it's more expensive than buying the type approved tow pack...