can't get the damn thing to flex

herdwick.

last weekend fitted a set of +2 in springs from bearmach but had the chance of testing it yesterday (because of a transferbox swap during the week)and the thing it does not flex at all it drives rock solid on the tarmac but the springs are way to hard/strong for offroading,if you push it on a ramp on one wheel what it does, the whole body it's leaning until one wheel loose grip,the axle it gets nowhere near to the bumpstop in fact,the distance between bumpstop and axle on a ramp is bigger than it use to be with standard springs and on a level ground!!

any thoughts on what spring rate to use? these seem to hard for offroading,thinking on going for standard springs from the range rover,

any informations or a tip how to find out what suits best for off road just say it!!

i'll try to post some pictures later on but i may need some help with that

thnx for the replies boys,mark,i don't use anti roll bars,and i've got front and rear relocation cones.

found a set of coil springs for the defender, again from bearmach fronts are 175lbs/inch and rears 225lbs/inc i think it will be ok but what makes me scratch my head is that for the same amount of lift -2inch- defender use the hardest springs of the three and r/r being the softest,how can you specify the softer springs for the heaviest car or i'm i missing something here? i know some r/r use self leveling units but some 110-130 too,

fridgefreezer-searched through the technical archive and found lots of infos but not the trev's calculator,i'll search again

i will post some pictures when i find the time to fit the new coil springs,

Trev's spring calculator is Here.

Red/whites (170Lbs) will give a large lift on the front and will be to soft for the rear.

Defender rears (red/blue 225Lbs IIRC) I found were to soft for the rear of mine.

I used yellow/reds (150Lbs and 17in free length) on the front of mine (I did have a winch fitted and twin batteries) and then some Bearmach blues (240Lbs, and 15.3in free length, which I think are listed as 110 h/d fronts) on the rear this seemed to give a reasonable amount of flex at both ends and with about a 1" lift.

However to a degree the front is never going to flex very well becuase of the way it works.

Pete.