No dipped beam

tpk241

Hi all ....

As in the subject line. The other morning i flicked my lights on and all of a sudden they went off. I have full beam and side lights but no dipped normal beam.

I am useless with electric fault finding. I have checked the fuses below the steering wheel and the relevant ones are ok.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me or help me run through the way to troubleshoot ...

Many thanks

Stu

Hi all ....

As in the subject line. The other morning i flicked my lights on and all of a sudden they went off. I have full beam and side lights but no dipped normal beam.

I am useless with electric fault finding. I have checked the fuses below the steering wheel and the relevant ones are ok.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me or help me run through the way to troubleshoot ...

Many thanks

Stu

I'm not been funny, but have you checked the bulbs? It not uncommon for one to go then the other.

Second thing, check the 3 pin plugs on the back of the headlights, are they in good condition, they have a habit of melting causing bad contacts.

Lets know how you get on.

What that man up there said. I had it happen in the middle lane of the M4 coming back from London. Nine o'clock at night, seventyish miles an hour and it goes black. Major brown trouser moment. Couple of new bulbs later and Bob's your dads brother.

Land Rovers, aluminium bodies, earths and lights are a mixture of magic and voodoo - and even then it seems to need a slice of luck. My own '93 loses headlights evey time I go over a bump, then it's up with the bonnet and fiddle the connectors until I get a good contact on the three pins at the base of the bulbs. This is short term and my tame expert, Mark Knight of KVMS will shortly, when Gordon Brown's pension arrangements permit, be fitting a set of Xenon (I think) bulbs with screw attachments. This costs about 250 quid and solves two problems at a stroke; first, light power is increased from damp candle to searchlight and second, the screw fitting won't lose contact every time I go over a yump. Like the Meerkat says, "Simple (squeak)"

Hiya... I would agree that earth issues can cause havoc with Disco lights but your problem is very likely connected to the dim-dip relays that sit in the passenger footwell.

There are two relays - and various schools of thought on how to fix the issue...

One is to find the offending relay, pull it out and toss it over your left shoulder with the phrase, 'dunno why I need that.' Much to my surprise, this is the route advised by my local non-franchise workshop...

Alternatively, find and replace - in my instance the relay was fine, it was the little connector block that was fried!

So where are these little suckers?

Remove the passenger side footwell trim and there should be a row of relays - there is also a drop down 'tray' of relays next to this (behind the glovebox). In typical LR fashion, I had a relay in each location - find the one that is supposed to be working by putting a hand on the relays and getting spouse, tame child (!) or work colleague to operate the light switch... you will feel the appropriate relay 'click' as it tries to operate.

If you struggle making sense of my ramblings, let me know - I have a copy of the pages from the workshop manual covering this very subject and will e-mail this if you PM me your e-mail addy.

Hope this helps