Anyone know what this little guy is?

I think that if this is a voltage regulator in my dash then it could be the cause of the problems with my temperature gauge reading hot permanently and varying with engine speed and other electricals. Please note i have swapped the alternator out so i believe its not the main regulator there.

Any clues as to what the item shown below is would be very much appreciated.

dscf9312.jpg

dscf9311.jpg

cheers y'all

That is the voltage transformer for the early dim dip headlight system. it has no effect on any other system except for the dip headlights, it's signal feed to operate is taken from the engines oil pressure switch, so it puts dim dip on only whn the engine is running.

if you don't get dim dip beam with sidelights on & engine running, then just unplug it & safely secure the plug, normal front light operation will be available, side lights/dip beam/main beam, dip dip is not longer required on uk vehicles, my '89 110 has it & I like to keep it operational.

That is the voltage transformer for the early dim dip headlight system. it has no effect on any other system except for the dip headlights, it's signal feed to operate is taken from the engines oil pressure switch, so it puts dim dip on only whn the engine is running.

if you don't get dim dip beam with sidelights on & engine running, then just unplug it & safely secure the plug, normal front light operation will be available, side lights/dip beam/main beam, dip dip is not longer required on uk vehicles, my '89 110 has it & I like to keep it operational.

So i guess if its not giving this "dim dip" function then i guess the transformer is not functioning properly? Then i shall try unpluging it. The less faulty electrics in the world for me at the moment the better!

Many thanks for that.

In case i didnt say, i have a continuous high reading on my temp. gauge. Have had the cooling system checked through. New rad, plus some adjustments, seems fine. Reading still flat out after short run time. 95% sure its electrical. Also the voltage all round varies with revs and any other pull from sources. Any suggestions welcome!?!?!. Thanks all.

(I KONW THE PICTURES ARE BIG!.... better for those older and wiser....usually with bad eye sight)

maybe your high temp gauge reading is down to a earth problem, the back of the gauge should have a ring terminal connected to the central long stud & be secured to the gauge on top of the U clamp by a circular nut with a knurled finish to it's sides, check this is tight & the earth wire is connected at t's other end.

Your gauge is probably reading high because you have the original 2.5td gauge with the 200 Tdi sender. You need to match sender and gauge as they're not compatible, I'm afraid. A common fix is to use a decent aftermarket matched gauge and sender, VDO being a popular example or get hold of a 200 Tdi gauge.

HTH

Mo