Dead P38 auto

AJL

Hi out here in Bucharest I'm trying to start a dead P38 auto is there any specific starting procedure? Battery is fine and it seems to be demobilizing but o. A turn of the key there's absolutely nothing

anyone got any suggestions?

Posted here in the hope of a quick answer

many thanks

Upon turning the key to starter position, do the lights on the dash stay on, diminish, flicker, any warning lights?

If you keep the interior lights on, do they still stay on with the key is on starter?

What about the recent history? Was it working the other days and today just didn't start or what's the story? Any recent engine/gearbox faults?

Thanks for the fast response it's

been laid up with the battery disconnected for 3 months untill today everything is fine interms of lights dash warning etc all w're getting is a click from BECM no starter engaging at all

I don't know of any special procedure. The engine warning light on the dash should come on with the key on pos II and it shouldn't call for codes.

It could be the BECM and ECU lost sync, the battery is not that good (try jump starting), the ignition switch, the starter motor (I think it can be jump started from underneath) etc.

Not much I can help you with, not that familiar with P38s and the newer RRs, I won't get into details why.

It might help to say what engine is has and what year is it.

i had this or something similar on one that was left for months with a flat battery and had to go back to manually setting the immobiliser with the door key a 4 digit code from memory it should be on a card in the hand book service book so many turns left so many right and so on

if you get it wrong you have to wait for half an hour or so b4 you can retry

the becm was clicking on that one and dash lights were all lit but no go until we entered the cose then voila off she went

It's an auto box, presumably you have tried moving the gear leaver slightly while holding the key turned? Do you get the same result in both Park and Neutral? Do you get any warning in the message centre if you try to start with it in gear? I'm not familiar with the auto box version, so I'm not sure if you should get a warning message or not. If you don't know and don't have access to a book perhaps someone with relevant experience can chip in for you.

If it's lost synchronisation I'm a bit surprised you don't get some words in the message centre, but there again my car has never had the 'lost synchronisation' problem.

As already said, the year and engine would help, we could then ascertain if it had friendly synchronisation fitted.

Can you lock and unlock the vehicle with the remote on the key fob?

What state is the alarm LED showing before, during and after your starting attempts?

HTH

hi, the p38 is my car. me and james tried to start it up today. the symptoms are like this: everything is working fine, excep that there is no warning on the das about doors open and the engine is not starting. only a click can be heard from the becm... after one hour of tries, i have experienced something more strange, when i have switched the ignition on only the srs light was on and nothing else were from electrical system were available. the battery is in good condition, all the fuses and relays are in good condition.

i have tried everithing related to autobox, lever position and the switch under the car.

the vehicle is a p38, 4.6 hse, made in 1995. engine code 46d wihout catalysts

thank,

rgrds

Hmm, it's not the battery, not the starter.

If the battery went flat 3 mo ago or in between (and it was disconnected after that) the BECM and ECU lost sync, common issue on P38s, and you can get all sorts of errors, including everything looking fine in terms of the warning lights or messages with the starter engaging but engine not firing up.

IMO it's Testbook time.